American "Progress"

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Damn Silver, you are one handsome motherfucker ;)

I agree to a certain extent. It's almost impossible to punish a child these days. However, look at the extremely large number of Baby Boomers who are in thearpy because of how their parents treated them. My dad told me that he lipped off to his dad and got the living shit beat out of him. Guess how he always tried to handle problems with me? That's right, with violence and pure aggression. Co-incidentally, I'm sure, I was an extremely aggressive young man.

Children learn what they see. Period. Point blank. No partisan bullshit about it. You don't need to bully your kids to be authoratative. It's amazing what happens when kids respect you instead of fear you. Y'all can take frightened kids and I'll take confident and well adjusted kids.

Some people just don't like progress nor do they like to take the rose colored glasses off.

Precisely. Beating the shit out of them because they say something "smart" is NOT the way to be a parent. Answering every questioning of your "authority" with 'because I said so' is NOT the way to be a parent.

I have a 9 year old whose favorite movie is Resident Evil (don't ask, I don't understand their tastes LOL) and watches me play Grand Theft Auto, has held a gun (and will learn to shoot properly) and does other things that most parents would deem inappropriate for children of her age. The thing is I sit and talk with her, I treat her like an adult and every time I do, I notice that she constantly makes the right decisions. She understands that movies and games aren't real and that guns aren't these scary things that kill everything in sight. She realizes that you must respect a gun though and the potential that it does have to kill a person. Hell, she chose herself not to drink sodas because she doesn't like the way it makes her all wired. Amazing.

Treat your children like adults and they will act like adults.

Treat your children like adults and they will act like adults.

In an Idealistic world maybe. Children should not be treated like adults all the time because they cannot mentally handle it. Children do not have the background or wealth of experiences and consequences that adults do. That is why we "raise" children, to give them the experience they need to be good adults. I have seen what happens to kids that are treated like adults their entire life and most of the time it is not pretty because the adults were never around.

I think that what you might be trying to say is that we should treat children with respect, show them love, and let them learn and experience life. What we should not do is dictate to them and tell them how to be.

20% of this forum can't be treated like adults.

In an Idealistic world maybe. Children should not be treated like adults all the time because they cannot mentally handle it. Children do not have the background or wealth of experiences and consequences that adults do. That is why we "raise" children, to give them the experience they need to be good adults. I have seen what happens to kids that are treated like adults their entire life and most of the time it is not pretty because the adults were never around.

I think that what you might be trying to say is that we should treat children with respect, show them love, and let them learn and experience life. What we should not do is dictate to them and tell them how to be.

No, I meant what I said. I treat my child like an adult. I talk to her as if I were talking to an adult (minus all the colorful metaphors), but I talk with her about the goings on in her life, about what's happening with mine, school, problems she's facing, the whole nine.

That is how I raise my child. You'd be really surprised at how well a child can handle a situation if you let them fly solo sometimes. If she needs help, I'll give it to her without hesitation. However if she doesn't, then she's captain of her own ship. If I see her doing something that is potentially bad, I simply say something along the lines of "You might want to rethink that one a tad.", and she does. She knows that I am a lot more experienced and if I mention that something might be a bad idea, then it probably is.

To that end, I've never had any troubles with her. She's flying through school with nothing less than B's. She's extremely responsible and knows that (home)work comes before play, and I don't even have to remind her.

I'm allowing her to grow up being her own person and always used to making her own decisions. I sit on the sidelines as much as possible, inserting the 'authority' only when needed. You would really be surprised at how well that works.

She even makes them call people by their surnames. The first time I met them I was like, "noooo, that's my dad...call me Scott." It kind of ticked her off.

Yeah, a friend of mine's sister got onto her son for calling me dude. I freakin love her son to death, and i cant believe she wigged out over something like that. He's 5 and i call him little dude all the time, so its kinda cool to see it commin back. As my job proves, there is a time for respect and there is a time for being social with people. No one, not even the president of my company goes by their surname. All first name basis here, even the customers have mentioned how much they like our laid back approach. After I pick up the phone and say "This is Josh" its like im talking to a friend after that. Im just sayin shit like "Whats up Kevin. Aww man that sucks, lemmie look at your code real quick and see what i can find". About the only time im in the sir maam mode is with judges and police officers. something tells me theyve earned that.

About the only time im in the sir maam mode is with judges and police officers. something tells me theyve earned that.

The cops in my town have only earned the right to be called "pig".
They're workin on earning the title of "douchebag".

Doesn't change the fact that they abuse their power and are so full of themselves, they're comin out their own asses. Pigs.

blah, I call everyone I don't know personally Sir or Ma'am, I even call my Administrative Assistants Ma'am,

insecure much?

Back