an rx-7 with a chevy block

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by 96prelude@Nov 7 2002, 09:06 PM
if one wants a v8 get a camaro or somthing domestic, don't screw with a good car like that. that is one less rx7 in the world.

I disagree. The RX-7 is nice, but the engine likes to blow up a LOT. I'd rather have a huge displacement engine in there with a ton of aftermarket support than one which likes to let go all the time. Let's see.... you can make something like 600-700hp on the rotary with a TON of work, right? What about 1000+ on the LS1 or LS6 with a turbo strapped onto that sucker? Displacement matters, and so does low end torque. If I were to get an RX-7, this is something I'd definitely consider.

The RX-7 has a beautiful chassis and a wonderful engine, while the Camaro/Firebird have an ok chassis and an awesome powerplant that's being held back by the platform it's mounted in. The Corvette is nice, but it's still really big. Stuff that engine into an RX-7 that's a few hundred pounds lighter, then modify the hell out of it... and you have a sweet machine.

:D

The only chevy engine I would even consider is the quad cam that came in the early 90's Vette, the rest are a step back in history... And even then it would not be in an RX7. The RX7 is all about a wankel. Just build the motor right and treat it well and you should have the problems that everyone claims come with a rotary.
Sorry I don't know my chevy engine codes. :rolleyes:

the quad cams (lt5 i think) have the same output as the ls6, and the ls6 does it with less moving parts.

Originally posted by Calesta@Nov 8 2002, 10:22 AM
I'd rather have a huge displacement engine in there with a ton of aftermarket support than one which likes to let go all the time. Let's see.... you can make something like 600-700hp on the rotary with a TON of work, right?

Dude it takes a ton of work to make a honda 600-700 hp.

guys, its interesting you bring up quad cam vette engines because there was a guy at the last auto-x i was with one. he had spent around 65k on the car (over 100 with purchase) and his car ran 10's with nitrous. needless to say he said the quad cam motor was one of the most sophisticated engines he's ever seen and it takes a LOT of knowledge to work on one. he said in the entire state of florida, he only knew of a few qualified mechanics that he would let work on his car.

the chevy 350 is one of the best powerplants in the entire world. thats why people drop them in z's and even in rx-7's. my dad has built many 350's and had at least 10 different cars with this powerplant. for a fast, reliable and easy to work on engine the 350 is on top.

rotary power is good, when its working...but its prone to breaking...

s3dcc092090424.jpg

s3dcc09557cb94.jpg

If I was building that engine for mad turbo, I would want to be able to control each intake and exhaust cam independently of the others, not something you can do with a single cam and pushrods.

chevy 350's are not suited well for turbo, they make tons of power and torque all motor.

wasnt the quad cam designed by lotus, and people were bitching that its not an american motor, so they tossed it?

Maasey- I was talking about a Wankel RX-7 engine- the 13B, not 600-700 out of a Honda engine. It still takes a lot of work to make 6-700hp from a rotary though.

I don't know about why GM killed the car- maybe it was sales and the market not wanting to carry a $50k+ domestic sports coupe... well people did buy them, but for the wrong reasons. Lotus did help to develop the engine though.

I think I would still rather have one of the new LS1 blocks, and have John Lingenfelter lay his hands on it.

:D

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Nov 9 2002, 01:01 PM
Why talk about the 13B's when we can talk about the 20B's? :D

three rotors instead of two... normally NA with a higher CR... 2.0l instead of 1.3l... and sick as fuck when boosted :)

JDM RX-7's. I don't think any 20B's made it to the dealers in the states. Although there was an article in one of the tuner mags a few months ago about a guy who dropped a 20B into his USDM RX-7, then swapped the twin-turbo setup in favor of a single turbo that would have sucked up small dogs. The thing was a monster.

Back