Anyone interested in Tornado chasing??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

This year's tours are all booked up. Kentucky and West Virginia got really trashed by storms this last weekend. Indiana too. :eek:

And Hurricane season officially started today...

I love this shit. There's a group in a town near me devoted to storm chasing and research to improve the warning systems, and if there wasn't so much crap going on in my life right now I would so be there. It's fascinating. I would give anything (okay, almost anything) to follow and/or be stuck in a tornado. :nod:

Thanks for the link, Martine. You rock. :D

B- :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by complicity@Jun 1 2004, 07:26 AM
I would give anything (okay, almost anything) to follow and/or be stuck in a tornado. :nod:

I can understand chasing them, but having lived in the mdwest my entire life, I know you don't actually want to be IN one. :D

Originally posted by DarkHand+Jun 1 2004, 12:33 PM-->
complicity
@Jun 1 2004, 07:26 AM
I would give anything (okay, almost anything) to follow and/or be stuck in a tornado. :nod:

I can understand chasing them, but having lived in the mdwest my entire life, I know you don't actually want to be IN one. :D

Maybe she wants to visit the Land of OZ... lol. Or maybe she's confusing being in a tornado with flying an airplane within the eye of a hurricane...

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal+Jun 1 2004, 11:52 AM-->
Originally posted by DarkHand@Jun 1 2004, 12:33 PM
complicity
@Jun 1 2004, 07:26 AM

Maybe she wants to visit the Land of OZ... lol. Or maybe she's confusing being in a tornado with flying an airplane within the eye of a hurricane...

What? No, there's no confusion on my end.

I didnt mean being INSIDE the tornado, I would obviously die, due to the additional vortexes inside of it. :roll: What I meant was having one come through my area so I could just experience it and take some photos, provided I was in decent shelter. I should have been more specific. <_<

Tony...:fuckyou:

Originally posted by complicity@Jun 1 2004, 10:59 AM
What I meant was having one come through my area so I could just experience it and take some photos, provided I was in decent shelter.

plainfielddamage.jpg

'Decent shelter' can be quite hard to come by. :blink:

I know. If you really know the dangers, then you know how to protect yourself. I'm aware of the destruction a tornado can create, I know alot about them, I'm a big dork when it comes to storms and such. :unsure:

Notice how the area over to the left of the path is completley untouched? That's part of what fascinates me. :D

I try to avoid severe storm fronts down south as they are usually accompanied by large hailstorms. My car got hailed on in Austin in May and while there was no lasting damage, the storm was fierce enough to set off car alarms in the parking lot.

tornados lollololololol

give me earthquakes ANYDAY over a friggen tower of wind that blows cows 100 feet into the air and demolishes your house.....

how often do we get big earthquakes in cali? shit....far as i can remember we had like 3 in the past 15 years....

you guys get like 20 tornadoes a year over there....

no thanks.

i've never seen a serious tornado in my life... a couple little whirl winds... like your 1.5 richter scale quake...

2 hurricanes

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Jun 1 2004, 02:10 PM
give me earthquakes ANYDAY over a friggen tower of wind that blows cows 100 feet into the air and demolishes your house.....

Ummm... no. I would choose a tornado any day over a decent-sized earthquake. At least with a tornado, there's a chance of some advance warning. You keep your impeding Cali earthquakes to yourself... :ph34r:

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal+Jun 1 2004, 01:30 PM-->
Tonyd0821
@Jun 1 2004, 02:10 PM

Ummm... no. I would choose a tornado any day over a decent-sized earthquake. At least with a tornado, there's a chance of some advance warning. You keep your impeding Cali earthquakes to yourself... :ph34r:

me too, no question :) tornadoes incur sporadic, light, concentrated destruction (provided that it's between an f1 and an f3 on the scale, after that, it's dangerous, not only due to the funnel itself but also the hail and rains, etc), whereas earthquakes provide mass destruction on a larger, more widepsread level. a larger(read: 2-5 miles wide) tornado can produce less damange than a tornado that's only 200 feet wide. that's half the intrigue :) damn right, keep your earthquakes over there :ph34r: :unsure:

I'll take the earthquakes... As long as I'm not near any buildings. :D

i live right in the middle of "tornado alley" we had about 13 tornados touch down in northern missouri this past weekend. 3 of them were in the same county. and atleast 2 were classified as F4's. tornados are some scary shit. i remember back when i was like 12 or 13 my parents and I were eating at a resturant in grain valley MO when the siren's started going off. i had to take shelter in the freezer.

Back