Anyone know bout Neons?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Still. I still remember that "Cavalier Guy" as i call him, laughed at me cause i had a "1.3" and he had a Z24. Till i beat him easily from a half-assed green light. They he persisted to do it again from a roll, going well before me.... i pulled and passed easy. We stopped and he said "Jesus dude i had a head start and you still beat me, cant beat those high revvers." I see him around and he still farts around with me.

Lol I always had to deal with this kid in a neon by the name of goobie. I wrote a kill story on him lol. He thought his stock swapped 5 speed neon was faster than my stock b16 for some reason...

^^^
That's how almost every Neon driver is. Don't worry, it's not just him. There's a lot more like him out there. :)

megaquirt is probably your best option. i got neonmike's 2nd gen running pretty solid off it :)

as for putting it into your civic, put the crack pipe down.

Sorry for not being here for the disscusion but I was away all weekend.

youve gotta be kidding me?!?!
i didnt know the neons were turbo'd i thought only the srt-4..
This one is aftermarket. Professionally built by a shop in Maryland.

im sure this one is after market.

and to the op...i have seen some mean neons before. i cant help much on the swap info, but that motor should be put back into a 1st gen neon. i would think thats you best bet to get max potential from the engine. good luck, and good score.
Thanx. Its just so hard to find another neon thats clean. We want this thing to be a sleeper like it originally was and spank the 1's who think twice about it.

you must be kidding me. my friend has a seriously built first gen Neon (Nitrous, not turbo) and he can't get a fair price for it.

He would have sold his to you for $15k. Damn.
I got this for free cause the guy brought the car down after it was wrecked so the motor and intercooler and exhaust can be pulled. He kinda fell off the earth so with all that went into take it all out, we get to keep everything.

I'm under the impression he got the motor second hand and the value of the build is 15k. Possibly got it free?
Yup sure did.

megaquirt is probably your best option. i got neonmike's 2nd gen running pretty solid off it :)

as for putting it into your civic, put the crack pipe down.
Thats the brand im being told is the one to use. I have never heard of it before.
Putting it in the civic would be a last resort if we really wanted to mess with people. I wouldnt put it in my civic but I would find another 2 do the conversion.

Well I wouldnt be paying for the labor. My dad & I would be doing the work. It would just be many cases of beer and lots of headaches involved in doing it. I think it would be fun to do.

Ohh I read the last thing wrong. Thought you said you would find another person to do the conversion... for some reason...

Ya I think it would be fun too [if I had all the right tools and was capable]

Well we are fully loaded over here with about half a million dollars worth of tools. So anything is possible over here. Way too many hot rods and race cars were built here. So now I have been getting my dad into the sport compact end of it all. :D

Well I finally found one.

1f31291333kd3p13l18c5bd392b6e836d15.jpg

1fa1ga13c3n83m83o98c5eb560e0a717011.jpg

1f51261g33n63mc3of8c540cd734f1f1e15.jpg

And the bad. Light hit in the rear.
12a1331g73mb3p13oc8c5deeb3a33f0981d.jpg

Now on to the motor. Years of dust from sittin for too long.

0104091441a.jpg

0104091443.jpg

0104091442b.jpg

0104091443a.jpg

0104091446.jpg

0104091446a.jpg

0104091447.jpg

0104091449.jpg

0104091448.jpg

0104091448b.jpg

0104091448a.jpg

Gonna be taking a closer look at the motor tomorrow to see what is missing so I can get whats needed and try and get it on an engine stand so I can take the oil pan of to see what kind of internals are in it then take the valve cover off to see what cam is in it. Lots of research before I can swap it and fire it.

Good luck with it dude, I would watch the head gasket on that baby :(, I used to drive a Neon, it died on the burn out rams out back haha! The head didn't want to play around anymore!

Poorly engineered cheaply built econoboxes that are meant to last 5 years and be tossed. This is what I know about neons.

first thing you do and let me tell you from experience is ditch the fmu and buy megasquirt. fmu's and neons don't mix well, i am lucky i have a fuel rail left it liked to run at well over 175 psi of fuel pressure. if ya have any questions or need pointers shoot me a pm i have done everything you could possibly do to my neon motor and turbo wise so i prolly have the answer for ya. Oh yeah and if you were wondering that is the hahn racecraft turbo kit ya got on there.

first thing you do and let me tell you from experience is ditch the fmu and buy megasquirt. fmu's and neons don't mix well, i am lucky i have a fuel rail left it liked to run at well over 175 psi of fuel pressure. if ya have any questions or need pointers shoot me a pm i have done everything you could possibly do to my neon motor and turbo wise so i prolly have the answer for ya. Oh yeah and if you were wondering that is the hahn racecraft turbo kit ya got on there.

i can verify this... it was scary as hell watching that fuel pressure needle bending against the stop pin :eek:

Alright, Why should I not use the FMU?

As far as using Megasquirt, I would like to use it. But when I comes down to tuning, I get confused. I guess it is because of all the parameters. I am mechanically inclined to install it. I have dealing with vehicle wiring for 12 years now so thats not the issue. I read all over the place and no one seems to have issues with tuning. I read the manuals for tuning the Megasquirt and I get lost. I would love to learn how to tune so I dont have to pay someone to do it for me. I do have a laptop and a power cord so I can power it from the car.

I dont know what kind of ECU setup this car had and I was told it was pulled with the motor but I cant seem to find it with all the other ECU's. But I was reading lastnite and people were saying that you dont need the MS and you can use the FMU and a map clamp (more so using the Missing Link). Now I do understand by using the MS I can tune the fuel and spark and if I remember correctly it also acts like a map clamp as well. Im still researching and learning as I go. To tell you the truth, Im REALLY confused.

Any help or clarifications would be greatly appreciated.

Poorly engineered cheaply built econoboxes that are meant to last 5 years and be tossed. This is what I know about neons.

If GM and such acquired some junk/scrap yards, they could recoup a lot of materials in these broken junk cars to make their new cars and save a lot of money.

the megasquirt has a built in map sensor which will be used to run the megasquirt. there are only a couple sensors need for the megasquirt, tps, crank sensor, a gm temp coolant temp sensor, and gm iat sensor. as far as the tuning goes i can send ya a copy of the map that i have and it will get the car running decent but it will need some fine tuning to work to the best of it ability. If you got an fmu with that engine it means it never had an ecu it was running the stock computer for the spark and the fmu controlled the fuel with a map clamp. like i said before i highly don't recomend doin it this way it will only make you hate the car cause you will never be able to get it so you can enjoy driving it. if your lookin for a place to read up on turboing a neon go to www.neons.org and there is a megasquirt tuning forum there.

Back