anyone road race here?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gsxrawd

as on a closed circuit track with turns you know ;) I'm thinking about building a Ek w/ a H22 but everyone is telling me to do a B series. a B18C5 would be sweet but $$$. I'm thinking H22 would make just as much hp but I'm curious how would the car drive? people are telling me the H22 motor is way more heavier than a B series, any onw know how much heavier? It's a road racing car I need it to be reliable so I'm thinking a H22 with 190-200 whp should be easy and reliable/safe? The most it'll be one the track will be about 30 min with atleast a hour in between session. What you guys think?

H series in a civic = understeer like a mother fucker

there are things you could do to compensate for it

but you will never handle as well as a civic with a B series

From what I have seen, an H22 in a Civic cost not too much less than a ITR and just a little more than a GSR once it's in. After you piece together the axles, mount kit, wiring, fan, labor, etc...you might as well have swapped in a C5 and been about the same place hp wise.

From what I have heard, the H is about 65-90 lbs more than a B series, which is about the same more than a D series.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Mar 18 2004, 04:54 AM
From what I have seen, an H22 in a Civic cost not too much less than a ITR and just a little more than a GSR once it's in. After you piece together the axles, mount kit, wiring, fan, labor, etc...you might as well have swapped in a C5 and been about the same place hp wise.

that, and i've seen countless stock JDM itr's walk stock JDM h22's in hatches.

keep the d16, put the money where it counts: suspension, brakes, suspension, tires, suspension. ;) and driving instruction and seat time and seat time. i guarantee you'll do better that way than with a b18, h22, k24 whatever.

but if you insist on a swap, a nice NA B18 will do you just fine. also consider the K series. racing is very expensive, if you can't afford a K swap, you probably can't afford to race on a serious level. it adds up to about $1000 a weekend when you factor in hotel costs and all the other BS. but if you're just going to open lap days every other weekend, it's not that bad.

:withstupid:
seat time is what counts. hell, learn to drive in your totally stock car and you learn its limits a lot easier and at slower speeds (safer). after a couple track events start beefing up suspension. however, it is a must get better brake pads (hawk, carbotech, ferodo, etc..) i would have to say azenis are the best deal for street tire that is pretty damn good on the track too. but once you get started you'll be addicted. i've been doing hpde's for a little over a year, i'm hooked like it was crack :)

yea i was worried about the understeering, I was told H series is about 80lb more than a B series. If that's the case it's not really thast much more to cause it to udersteer that badly. I don't even have a EK yet I was just thinking about it as my next project.
I agree that seat time is important. I've been doing road racing events for the last 6 yrs so I know a little about it. Thanks you guys for the info, Now I'll have to decide if I want to do a EK or S14 as my next toy.

80 lbs isnt all that much, but it does make quite a difference when it is hanging out in front of the front wheels. I had the chance to drive a EG with a H22 in it at a local auto-x event last year, and this thing had 550 lb front/650 lb rear and it still did not have nearly the balance of a B series EG does. I would imagine the EK to be similar. I would tend to agree with the above people who said get some seat time, learn the car, get some technique and then decide what you want to do with the car.

Also, by road racing, I take that to mean wheel to wheel racing. In that case, i would first start by checking the legality of this swap in your particular class/sanctioning body of racing. If you mean drivers schools/open track days, then this isnt too much of a consideration.

do you have a competition license?

those can cost $$$$$ to get considering that you have to attend at least 2 schools (usually), then participate in x number of hpde events, then you pay $55 get a license to WATCH i think 4 races? then after that you pay $55 again and finally get your competition license.

nasa series
how to get your SCCA comp. license

good way to start. i also highly recommend doing a few autox before you hit the track.

check these:
]nasa hpde
speedtrials USA

i cant speak for nasa events, but if there are any speedtrial events near you GO TO THEM. the ones up here are run extreemly well and they are tons of fun.

i've been doing Tommy's Speedtrial event since they started like 6 yrs ago (by the way Speedtrail used to be called Ace Racing a lonnnng time ago, and the Open -Track (owned by Ryan) before they team up w/ NASA and make you buy the stupid membership just so you can run with them. speedtrialusa.com :thumbsup:

don't really like autox, not enough drive time at those events

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Mar 18 2004, 03:59 AM
H series in a civic = understeer like a mother fucker

there are things you could do to compensate for it

but you will never handle as well as a civic with a B series

a :typer: swap will do you wonders. The primary reason the H22 in a civic isnt good for anything other than straight line driving is because it adds a lot of stress and weight to the front of the car which inhibits the cars ability to turn properly - YES things CAN be done to fix this, but that extra money COULD be used to build up that Bseries motor . . .

Originally posted by gsxrawd@Mar 20 2004, 08:48 PM
before they team up w/ NASA and make you buy the stupid membership just so you can run with them.

but with that membership you get free subscription to grassroots motorsprots :D

Back