auto to manual conversion...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dc4dude

so ive done a few auto to manual conversions in the years past, i am familiar with the parts and processes involved in doing them... but i have never attempted to convert the actual shifter opening... anyone have experience with swapping over the opening for the shifter? im pretty sure there are spot welds to drill out and weld back in, but just how involved is it? in trying to do this one right, from start to finish, and yes, i know its alot of work, i will swap out the wire harnesses, i will use an auto to manual trans mount, i will swap out the cluster, put the clutch pedal assembly in, run the clutch hydraulic line, swap out the auto ecu for a manual one, it will be obd2 as its a 2001... it had sentimental value and it is something i have been wanting to do since i got it for my then girlfriend, now wonderful wife... i have already replace the auto trans a few years ago with a used one, and dont want to replace it with another $800 used unit... anyways, thanks for any help guys

I'd like to know more about this as well, as I may be coming into an Accord wagon with a broken timing belt, and an automatic trans. I smell turbo project.

ok... the swap is this as fallows for parts.... there are right ups on the new for this if you google them

1. Manual Transmission: This is the most important part of doing the conversion on your honda. You can find these used or new all over the place for some decent prices.

2. Clutch Kit: With the new transmission your going to need a clutch kit. You can go to your local parts store

3. ECU: This is probably one of the parts that people forget to get. I don't know why but there is a difference between an auto ecu and a manual ecu. Refure to refrance section to fine out

4. Transmission Mount: This is another part that some people forget about. There is only 1 tranny mount that you will need to change to make the conversion. I would advise getting a new mount either from HASPORT or Innovative mounts. Just make sure you know if your getting a cable or hydrolic transmission before you order the mount because they are different.

5. Pedal Assembly: As you should know by now a manual transmission has a clutch pedal. Now some people just go down to a junk yard and buy just a clutch pedal and cut the automatic break pedal in half

6. Manual Axles: Yes there is a difference between manual axles and automatic axles. You can also get these from a local parts store for a pretty decent price.

Clutch Master and Slave Cylinders: This applys to the people who are buying an hydrolic transmission. Also while your down at your local parts store buying axles and your clutch kit, you can go ahead and order the clutch master and slave cylinders.

Flywheel: You will need a flywheel for this conversion. You can pick up a flywheel from a local parts store for a pretty good price.

10. Shift Linkage: This is another essential part where you can get on the internet and maybe at your local parts store. This connects from your shifter to your transmission.

Shifter, Shift Boot, and Shift Knob: You can get these ANYWHERE! A shift boot is the leather or cloth thing at the end of your shifter that just covers up the hole in your floorboard and makes things look better. You can buy a stock shifter or you can go the more preferred route and get a short shifter.

11. Guage Cluster: You don't necessarly need a manual one just as long as it has a tach but up to u i drive w/o one most of the time

stole the above off a google site... very simple

I'm been researching this for years, and one day my Teg may actually undergo this process, but I'll add my two cents within serrilion's awesome post.
OK... the swap is this as fallows for parts.... there are right ups on the new for this if you Google them

1. Manual Transmission: This is the most important part of doing the conversion on your honda. You can find these used or new all over the place for some decent prices.
Doesn't need to be hydro or cable depending on the car. Just like you can put a hydro in a CRX, you can put a cable in an Integra, they even make special trans mounts for it. I plan on going cable. Good way to get a GSR or B16 trans for cheap. Also no running hydro lines.
2. Clutch Kit: With the new transmission your going to need a clutch kit. You can go to your local parts store

3. ECU: This is probably one of the parts that people forget to get. I don't know why but there is a difference between an auto ecu and a manual ecu. Refer to reference section to fine out
An auto ECU can be converted to a manual rather simply. Just a little soldering and desoldering. Don't recall the exact process off hand, but I'm sure Google does.
4. Transmission Mount: This is another part that some people forget about. There is only 1 tranny mount that you will need to change to make the conversion. I would advise getting a new mount either from HASPORT or Innovative mounts. Just make sure you know if your getting a cable or hydrolic transmission before you order the mount because they are different.

5. Pedal Assembly: As you should know by now a manual transmission has a clutch pedal. Now some people just go down to a junk yard and buy just a clutch pedal and cut the automatic break pedal in half
Step 4 AND Step 5 must match the trans. Hydro needs the hydro mount and hydro pedals, cables needs the cable gear. They ARE different.
6. Manual Axles: Yes there is a difference between manual axles and automatic axles. You can also get these from a local parts store for a pretty decent price.

Clutch Master and Slave Cylinders: This applys to the people who are buying an hydrolic transmission. Also while your down at your local parts store buying axles and your clutch kit, you can go ahead and order the clutch master and slave cylinders.

Flywheel: You will need a flywheel for this conversion. You can pick up a flywheel from a local parts store for a pretty good price.

10. Shift Linkage: This is another essential part where you can get on the internet and maybe at your local parts store. This connects from your shifter to your transmission.

Shifter, Shift Boot, and Shift Knob: You can get these ANYWHERE! A shift boot is the leather or cloth thing at the end of your shifter that just covers up the hole in your floorboard and makes things look better. You can buy a stock shifter or you can go the more preferred route and get a short shifter.

11. Guage Cluster: You don't necessarly need a manual one just as long as it has a tach but up to u i drive w/o one most of the time

stole the above off a google site... very simple
My last bit of advice, try to get everything all at once. A front clip will have everything you need. Clips from JDM importers will have extra things you don't need (JDM goodies, an engine for that matter), that will raise the price. Either decide you want that stuff, buy the clip and sell the extras yourself, or go to a local junkyard. A mostly stock, totaled, USDM car will be really cheap. Especially if you tell the yard you don't want the stuff they consider to be worth the most money (motor, body pieces). Just don't listen to them when they say, "yeah, that part was the same 90-01, it'll work". They want to sell you anything, you need to make sure it will actually work.

Last edited:
I get all that... My original question remains... As far as the shifter opening into the cabin... Has anyone tackled swapping over a panel from a manual equipped car into an auto?

You will need to drill 2 holes .... they are filled in on the auto cars u will see were it should go.. Drill them out, buy bolts and nuts and your set.

my main concern remains... an original manual trans equipped civic/integra has a round opening that a rubber shift boot seals against... while an automatic trans equipped have the shift cables that seal up against the big bracket that seals up against the exhaust tunnel... when you bolt the rubber isolator up after the conversion... there is a gaping hole thats left over... what do people usually do to seal this up?

I used a peace of cardboard to get the size roughly.... Cut a peace of metal... welded it in place and coated the bottom of it and painted the top.. I have seen people take a cambles soup can and simply sylicon it on top of the hole or I have seen people just lay a peace of dyna matt over it and call it a day... lol I recommend the weld job looks alot better

Back