awd talon

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

96ekhatch

I'm thinking about purchasing a first gen awd talon with a second gen 4g63 motor. and my question is what problems do there encounter alot beside's crank walk. I would be getting aftermarket rods and pistons so that wouldn't be a problem but does anyone know like how good the transmission's are i've heard they were crap and would blow with alot more power? My set up would be aftermarket rods and pistons with stock bore, with an aftermarket exhaust manifold with a t3/4 flange with probably a 57 trim turbo to start with 53 a.r. hot side 60 a.r. cold side. with probably 3 inch intercooler piping front mount and 3inch dp to full 3 inch exhaust with larger injectors to match all these mod's. i'd be looking for about a 12 second car but i wouldn't be launching it all the time or shifting it like a honda i'd be slow shifting cause if the car is fast there's no need to shift it hard the majority of my race's would be fron a roll. Thanks any help would be great.

are you doing the build or are you buying it built?

i would sign up for www.dsmtuners.com or www.dsmtalk.com

like with all cars, they act how you take care of them. while crank walk isn't a myth, it is overstated. it's not a plague, but rather a common problem from overpowering the stock drivetrain.

what do you mean overpowering the stock drivetrain like the transmission? and no i would be building it the kid is giving me a holset turbo the 4g63 out of his second gen talon and the first gen awd talon with the downpipe and exhaust and exhaust manifold. and he has a ecu that is tuned for a stock motor with 660cc injectors and the holset turbo. with supporting mods i.e. exhaust and everything and the ecu is tuned with a 2step built in but i'd still have to buy the msd.

and i did sign up for dsmtalk but it won't let me make my own thread or reply to anything they won't activate my account.

i don't know anything about building a bmw, so i wouldn't even try. i also don't know anything about building a semi truck, so i wouldn't try.

if you can't do it all on your own, i wouldn't get started. and you also wont be able to repair it if anything breaks. either pay to have it finished and buy it whole and complete, or stay away. just my .02.

There goes a saying, "If your DSM isnt broke, then you are." They are turds unless you have bottomless pockets.

Anything Talon/Eclipse AWD turbo is going to have tranny problems. Whether it is today or tomorrow. I wouldn't buy that car unless I had the money to get it strengthened.

i would have friends helping me who have experience with these cars so it not like it would be a shot in the dark with building it. but the only thing i am worrying about is the tranny i just don't wanna blow it.

well i could either get a big 16g turbo from an evo 3 and i'd have to buy another manifold or the kid i'm buying the car from is going to give me a holset turbo it came off a dodge 5.9 turbo diesel truck with a manifold that will work with it i think its just a t3/4 flange. which the holset is pretty big i'd just run about 10psi on it and the kid siad i'd be looking at about 300-350hp.

lol i just wanted to try something different and it would eb awd you can't complain about that. But idk i wanna stay honda but i just wanna get out of the one i'm in right now lol i want something different. and newer.

buy a GST, take the motor, mate it to a mirage 1.8 trans... and drop it into a 93-96 mirage :)

its like swapping a GSR motor into a 2g CRX in terms of difficulty

yeah the mirage trannies are good to 300whp daily. also, since the rest of the car is built in japan, it doesnt fall apart like a DSM does.

I'm thinking about purchasing a first gen awd talon with a second gen 4g63 motor. and my question is what problems do there encounter alot beside's crank walk. I would be getting aftermarket rods and pistons so that wouldn't be a problem but does anyone know like how good the transmission's are i've heard they were crap and would blow with alot more power? My set up would be aftermarket rods and pistons with stock bore, with an aftermarket exhaust manifold with a t3/4 flange with probably a 57 trim turbo to start with 53 a.r. hot side 60 a.r. cold side. with probably 3 inch intercooler piping front mount and 3inch dp to full 3 inch exhaust with larger injectors to match all these mod's. i'd be looking for about a 12 second car but i wouldn't be launching it all the time or shifting it like a honda i'd be slow shifting cause if the car is fast there's no need to shift it hard the majority of my race's would be fron a roll. Thanks any help would be great.

I realize I'm half a month late...but

1G DSM 7 bolt engines are not known to crankwalk. I assume this is what you meant by "second gen motor".

The stock engine, if in good shape, is more than capable of handling 350-400 whp if you don't fuck up the tune or do some retarded shit. These engines are way more stout than even most DSMers give them credit for.

The stock transmission is fine. Throw in some heavy Redline shockproof into the transmission for good measure, probably a 2:1 ratio between standard oil and the shockproof. I'm currently flowing 50 lbs/min through my stock tranny and it hasn't exploded.

You can't have aftermarket pistons and retain a stock bore btw. You are most likely going to be punching them out to 20 over at the minimum.

Decent T3 or T4 tubular exhaust manifolds are 600+, and if you go with some E-bay crap they are pretty prone to cracking. The stock 2g exhaust manifold (an upgrade for 1g cars) flows pretty well, especially with some light porting. It's the DSM turbine housings unfortunately that are too small. With that said, you can still make lots of power with the DSM turbine housings.

3" intercooler piping is insanely oversized.

The Garrett T04 57 trim compressor wheel does not do too well in DSMs for one reason or another. Look into some of the popular alternatives--hybrid T04E 50 trims, one of the Forced Performance turbos (Forced Performance Turbochargers), a smaller Borg Warner, etc. Hell there are plenty of people in the 12's with just a 16g.

Look into tuning options as well. I will be the first to recommend ECMLink to you, although you will need an EPROM ECU to use it.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/sub.php?page=tech will help you as well.

i haven't decided weather i want it or not and y can't i keep the stock bore and get aftermarket rods and pistons i have found some online for sale that are stock bore. And its a motor out of a second gen turbo awd eclipse so its a 2g right? I'd be putting it on a 1st gen awd talon so i'd need to swap over all the sensor's and stuff. But are they just as strong as the 1g motor's?

On an old engine? You're going to take the whole engine apart and not get the cylinders honed? I guarantee you you'll need to go at least .020 over.

There are 1g 7 bolt engines and 2g 7 bolt engines. The crankwalk hysteria generally only applies to the 2g 7 bolt engines, although I had one with 150k miles on it.

The correct engine to swap really depends on the model year of the car. 90's had 6 bolts but are really their own thing. 91 - early 92 have 6 bolt engines. Late 92 to 94 have the 1g 7 bolts.

It may just be how you type, but this whole thing sounds shady as fuck and I'd just avoid the whole situation if I were you. This is ESPECIALLY true if you aren't willing to go read the forums and learn the basics. If you buy this car, and even if you manage to get it together, it will probably blow up or be plagued by other malignancies, and you will come back to complain about how much DSMs suck.

On the other hand, if you really are interested in getting a DSM, you should consider looking for a solid platform to start with, versus something that sounds like someone else's project gone wrong.

welll its not a project gone wrong he has the first gen shell to put his built motor in and changed his mind on putting it in the first gen so he bought a second gen awd eclipse and is putting his built motor in that and was selling the awd first gen shell with the second gen motor to put in it.

Back