B-series Into 5th Gen

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

djc0dy

i just bought an automatic 93 dx for $2500 because it was cheap and i kno dx's are pretty light weight. i want to kno what kind of b series i should put into it. im definitly swapping because this has a d15b7 and its pretty weak. i wanted maybe a b16 or b18, but im not sure what would fit the best and be the cheapest. i dont want to have to do any OBD conversions or anything like that because this is my first attempt at a swap so i want it to be kind of simple. chances are that im gonna get the motor from a local salvage yard, so im not looking to buy offline or import. i just want some insight as to what all i would need, and what would fit/work. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

The easiest thing for you to swap is going to be a B18B because it doesn't have VTEC, so you don't have to run any new wires, and as far as I know you can use your stock mounts you already have. Then, once you get up money again, turbo the crap outta it and be REALLY happy.

Well the automatic is probably going to be your biggest problem.You can get an auto B16 but they suck.You can get a B16A siR II,and not have to deal with obd,but still have to convert to manual.Adding wires for vtec is easy and worth it.

either way, b16 and b18b's are great base motors to start off with... i'd still go b18b though

If your intentions are all motor. Then i would go with the b16, do an auto/manual conversion and then build it up. Jeffie7 has a b16/t setup and has video of his 3rd gear down shift.. lemme say, its holy shit!

The b18 has more boost in a usable range and i would use it, its cheaper and easier to tune then a vtec/t setup.

I'm in a similar situation as the guy above, 93 DX Hatch/ auto. I got an insanely good deal on it, so i wasnt too worried about the auto. I got about 2 grand to work with, I've been told that I should just get a SiR II and convert a manual to auto. I dont want my daily driver out of comission for 6 months either. So should I or can I, get a manual tranny (D series) then do all that, then later hook up a mini me or b series?

guys, adding Vtec is hard, im swapping a GSR turbo into my friends 90 DX and its the hardest thing ive ever done, luckily he has done it b4 in his old car that he crashed so he know whats gonig on. i dont know how hard auto to man trans swaps are but if its to hard get a b18b auto. still very easy to install, wont b as great but still alot better than ur stock d15. if u wanna go standard, id still get the b18b and try to work on the swap for transmissions.

Adding vtec isn't hard for 5th g's d00d. You either get a z6 subharness or run 2 wires. 1 from the silenoid to the ecu and 1 from the vtec oil pressure to the ecu.

The easiest way and the best looking, IMO, is hunt for a z6 subharness. Infact, some of the non-vtec's have the wires already. I believe its the CX's, maybe i am wrong.

Sleeper-crx - you are adding it to a 4th gen, of course its harder, you are working with a obd0 car, a car that NEVER came with VTEC.

i have done two manconversions
they are easy an hard the easiest was the cable tranny
the hardest was the hydrolic conversion
parts cost about 100 for the cable and 220 for the hydro
you need the entire pedal assemeley and the entire consoule linkage shifter and mounts the manual and auto counsouls are diffrent so you need to swap these the shifter is a bolt in swap as is the pedals mounting the cluth cylinder is har but the mounting points are there so it can be done with so time and moving a few hoses

Is'nt there some extra wiring involved with the tranny conversion also?

Thanks for everyones input so far, big help. So, do you figure, with a helms, some time scavenging thru junk yards for pedal box, shift linkage and all that good stuff, and of course a transmission, with a decent knowledge of automobiles. I can pull this off?

Back