b series wont start .vid inside .

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

visching101

Alright trying to help someone out. A friend just recently swapped a b16a2 into his EK hatch and cane seem to get it started.

I guess i should provide some info... Its a b16a2 with a gsr trans. chipped p28 with stepdown harness
new thermostat
new mishimoto colder fan switch
new bosch spark plugs
new rywire dizzy stepdown harness
new tranny mount from honda
new starter
new slave cylinder

Some things that have been ruled out... It get fuel and spark, timing is fine.

here is the vid... Hope someone can help.

VID00007-20100806-2125.mp4 video by jj1116 - Photobucket

Ignitor? Coil? Are you SURE the timing is fine and not 180 out? Spark ...fire ...compression.

check that your plug wires are in proper firing order. i had that problem.. lol

I know it's not your problem but ditch the bosch spark plugs. They run like absolute shit in Hondas, get a set of NGK.

After listhening to the video from experience that motor sounds as if a. the timing belt is broken and the motor is not building compression. or b. the motor has valves that are bent enough that it will not build sufficient compression to start. It turns over soo quick that you can tell its not building compression for one of those reasons.

Last edited:
After listhening to the video from experience that motor sounds as if a. the timing belt is broken and the motor is not building compression. or b. the motor has valves that are bent enough that it will not build sufficient compression to start. It turns over soo quick that you can tell its not building compression for one of those reasons.

It does sound kind of weird, but I didn't want to jump to something like without being there and actually hearing it. I kind of thought the whole video sounded a little fast, especially the key in warning.

The only other thing I could think of that would make it sound that way is if the starter is not engaging the flywheel for some reason. But you said it is getting spark and it wouldnt if the rotor inside the distributor wasnt turning. Which tells me that the starter is engaging the motor and turning it over. It just really sounds like a motor with bent valves to me. You need to get a compression tester from an autoparts store. You can either rent one or buy it fairly cheap. This will confirm if you have bent valves on one or several of your cylinders.

i have to agree with boostin, if you definately got fuel, spark and the timing is right then unless there is a massive blockage in the inlet side of the engine it sounds like a compression problem.
just one thing though i know you said you have got fuel but have you got it at the right pressure? i was working on a 2.5 kv6 rover non start a few weeks back and i, like you had fuel, spark and correct timing but what i didnt check was the fuel pressure which i later learned that no matter what if there wasnt exactly 50psi behind the injectors they would not inject properly, it was caused by a faulty fuel pump so maybe check your fuel pump pressure and fuel filter (could be blocked) hope you get it going :)

I really hope there aren't bent valves, I feel bad for this kid cause he can never get a break. At first I thought he maybe wired something wrong or had put a sensor in wrong, cause when searching for similar problems I found a thread where someone put i think there tps and map backwards and it caused the same thing. I am going to see if he can check the comp today.

Ok well earlier today he did a compression test and got low # across all 4 cylinders. He said it was at like 50-80 through all 4. I then asked him if he checked the timing and he admitted he didnt really know how and sent me a pic of his cam gears

2.jpg

I sent him a guide on how to check and adjust timing. He did it and told me his timing was off a little. But sadly he had already returned the compression tester to autozone. So hes goin to rent one again when autzone is open and test again.

So now my question is... If the #'s are low again, then is it safe to assume some if not all valves are fucked? And if it comes back with normal or good #'s, what should we look into next?

i would rather do a cylinder linkage test. thats if the timing is all oki .

While you are trying the second compression test do one dry and one wet. If the motor has been sitting for a long time the rings could be dry causing the low compression. I ran into this twice with my old si, every year when I took it out of storage I had to pull the plugs and give the rings a little 5/30 and than it would start like a champ and run strong all summer long.

If it was only as simple as the cylinders being dry.... I have never had a motor not start no matter how long it has sat for that reason. I have gotten engines here in omaha from a local salvage yard that have sat for several years and they fire up and purr like yesterday's business. If it hasnt started by now, its never going to without some work. I would say that cylinders 3 and 4 have bent valves. 90psi is ridiculously low for a b16a2 or for any motor for that matter unless it was running like 5:1 compression, lol! Quit wasting your time and pull the head to have the valves checked out. That would be your best bet. Hell you might even see damage on top of the pistons confirming that the valves made contact with them. Or the carbon could be scraped away being an indicator that contact was made at some point.

Last edited:
yea but that really wouldn't explain how all cylinders would go from 30-50 two cylinders going to 150 and the other 2 bumping up to 90. If the valves were bent wouldn't the compression have stayed the same?

Its pretty simple really. By adding a bunch of oil it takes up space in the combustion chamber bumping it up. I have witnessed it myself more then once while performing the test, especially if you put too much oil in. Adding oil is a shit way of testing the motor really, a leak down test would be much better. You can do all the trouble shooting you want but you still have only 90 psi in to cylinders which is the same reading I got on a d15b7 that was a no start and had confirmed bent valves. Do what you want but I bet when you figure this all out Im going to right.

How else would you explain that kind of drop in compression? Maybe a couple broken rings, ring lands, bent valves, cracked head or block, or head gasket. Either way your going to have to tear into the motor to solve the problem and diagnose it definitively.

Back