b16 into automatic EG

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gettocrx

Hey guys!
I'm going to swap a b16 into a 94 automatic civic hatch soon and would like to know which wires in the shifting colum do I jump to bypass the starter. In other words which wires will need to jumped to bypass the starter, so it'll know that the shifter is in parked or neutral? Is there anything else I will have to do to make this trans swap work?? Thanks in advance!

there is a big red wire under the console, in front of where your factory auto shifter used to be, run a wire from there back over under the dash to the same wire in correspondace to if you already had a 5-speed trans in the car. you will also need a section of wiring harness from a manual car that has the clutch switch in it to send the signal that the clutch is engaged to the ecu so that it will engae the starter. if it is too dificult to understand by my discription, i can take some pics of my under-dash view in my car. it really isn't hard but i had a complete 5-speed car to salvage parts off of to help me. let me know if you need the pics to show you more, email me at showell29@msn.com to let me know, good luck

Not that i'm aware of, or could find when i did my conversion! I sort-of went into it blind, thats why it ended up taking my almost a day to get it worked out and working correctly. I will try to get u some pics, b/c it is real simple when you know where the wires have to go b/c there is only about 5 or 6 wires to hook up!

Originally posted by becoming@Jul 17 2005, 12:49 PM
Not that i'm aware of, or could find when i did my conversion! I sort-of went into it blind, thats why it ended up taking my almost a day to get it worked out and working correctly. I will try to get u some pics, b/c it is real simple when you know where the wires have to go b/c there is only about 5 or 6 wires to hook up!
[post=527507]Quoted post[/post]​

actually there are only 2 wires you have to hook up....and you also need to rewire your backup lights....Its simple....I forgot which wires they were but if im not mistaken they were the two FAT black ones under the shifter tingy....I dont have my civic with me today due to turbop coming out but i'll take pics later on and tell you exactly what you need to do...

Good luck!

You can also just put the slider thing (that the automatice shifter hooks to) in the park or neutral position and just leave the whole autoshifter circuitry where is it.

you will also need a section of wiring harness from a manual car that has the clutch switch in it to send the signal that the clutch is engaged to the ecu so that it will engae the starter.

The ecu doesn't look for clutch engagement. The main relay does if i'm not mistaken and you won't need to run any wires for this

And if you don't know already, you will need a different tranny mount. I think hasport makes one but you can also get a custom one made.

Hey thanks Guys! If I dont get wiring correct, I'll just direct start it (lolz). and yeah, I got hasport race mount kit including the trans mount (auto-5 speed). I see wat I can do, and let ya'll know wat worked for me! Thanks Again!

Originally posted by b16coupe@Jul 17 2005, 11:05 PM
You can also just put the slider thing (that the automatice shifter hooks to) in the park or neutral position and just leave the whole autoshifter circuitry where is it.

you will also need a section of wiring harness from a manual car that has the clutch switch in it to send the signal that the clutch is engaged to the ecu so that it will engae the starter.

The ecu doesn't look for clutch engagement. The main relay does if i'm not mistaken and you won't need to run any wires for this

And if you don't know already, you will need a different tranny mount. I think hasport makes one but you can also get a custom one made.
[post=527786]Quoted post[/post]​

Well you ARE correct, the ecu does NOT recognize it, but the clutch engagement switch does go through a relay to let the starter get power. But who knows, i might have done it differently,if there is 2 ways to do it, but the effect was the same, my car starts fine the way it is. But i did use a section of harness that included the the switch from a 5-speed car to make mine work correctly...

Yeah, that is right too. The moral of the story is: If you use the b16's main relay then you will need to run the wire from the clutch switch and if you use the stock relay then you won't.

Originally posted by Estorvito@Jul 19 2005, 07:42 PM
Her you go buddy..I took apic for ya....
all you have to do is cut and hook the black/red and black/white wires together....You dont need the rest of the wires, and as you can see in the pic i just removed them all....

Good luck!

Auto/manual starter bypass picture... :p
[post=528740]Quoted post[/post]​

Dude, YOU ARE THE MAN. I am doing this same swap right now, and you just answered the million dollar question for me. I really appreciate the picture man. Thanks.

OH! By the way, you mentioned wiring up the backup lights, can you fill us in on how to do that? Thanks.

And one last thing: theres two sets of wires on the clutch pedal, what do those wires need to be connected to, if anything?

Back