b16 obd 1 wiring...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bmorei9s06

i am doin research on this topic so i can perform a swap on my own. the only thing that is stumping me now is the whole wiring situation, mainly the whole OBD thing. i kno if i get a OBD1 motor, i will need to use the ECU for that motor with a conversion harness if i use my original wiring harness. now i read on honda-tech that if u have an auto you cant use ur original harness cuz the wiring is slighly different from a 5 speed, this true? now i am performing a auto to 5 speed swap as well, just thought to throw that out there, but yea if any one can help me with wiring an OBD1 B16 into a ek, id appricate it.

i am doin research on this topic so i can perform a swap on my own. the only thing that is stumping me now is the whole wiring situation, mainly the whole OBD thing. i kno if i get a OBD1 motor, i will need to use the ECU for that motor with a conversion harness if i use my original wiring harness. now i read on honda-tech that if u have an auto you cant use ur original harness cuz the wiring is slighly different from a 5 speed, this true? now i am performing a auto to 5 speed swap as well, just thought to throw that out there, but yea if any one can help me with wiring an OBD1 B16 into a ek, id appricate it.

Ehh I'll give it a shot.. from what I've researched.. And beings how i just put a head from my 5spd obd-0 onto my auto obd-1 yes the wiring is different, egr valve, and a little bit of a difference in vacuume on the fuel rail i think it was.. eigther ways If they're the same head just swap intake manifolds for an auto if your harness is an auto.. The Auto manifold has the EGR 5spd Dont.. post me back tomarrow I'll take a pic of what i'm talking about (I'm using LS heads) as far as i know everything else hooked right up even though it was a head off an obd-0 ecu.. You can get a vtec sub harness from www.rywire.com for how ever you decide to go.. just match the ECU to the head.. I may have a pic you can see on my computer already.
Yep all the pics are a standard manifold, the last one with the yellow circles I circles the EGR valve (silver clip to hold the EGR together I had to re seal it because i had a leak) and the intake has an added diaphram also circled.. those and the distrubutor where the only things I had to change out to go from obd-0 to obd-1 on a full head swap

Last edited:
Also I went ahead and used the exaust manifold for the auto setup.. I think it had an o2 sensor on one manifold and not one on the other.. that coulda been between OBD's though.. I think it was called the EGR when I read the engine code.. Eigther way, thats the differnce so ya know..
Ok had to crack my book for that one cause i was wondering why an EGR on an auto and not standard.. It does not specify wether its there becuase of it A automatic vs standard, or B ODB-0 vs OBD-1 The EGR (Exaust gas recirculation system) it modulated depending on ampunt of vaccume 8in. Hg of vacuum max. Has a sensor at top of valve that reports valve lift to ECU.. ECU Modulates position of control solenoid valve to control the EGR valve lift according to an internal program is all it says in chiltons.. Wish I could help more on that one.. Anyone else have any input to go with for this guy??

Last edited:
Thanks man, but its bugging me now, I was bout to goto sleep and I cant find out if the EGR System is a Difference between OBD-0 and OBD-1 Because my OBD-0 didnt have it the next years OBD-1 Did.. Or is it because its an Automatic and could have some other function dealing with vacuum pressure for proper shifting out with the Auto, Since the Trani's mostly electronic.. hmm... Stumped myself.. Books dont tell you crap eigther.. Thanks for the rep though.. I'll be up till I figure this out.. LOL Luckily I have a whole shop manual on my iphone for the 91-93 Integra's.. I'll try that Fingers crossed,

I've been on here all day tryin to help people.. And theres always the one or 2 people that point out what you mentioned your not 100% sure and not to post otherwise.. Hell I figure let them know where you sit and what you do know inorder to help them research the answers they need in the future.. Makes sense to me.. but I wont stop till the jobs done in most cases.. Kinda like OCD hhaha

-Kevin

Last edited:
thanks alot kevin, ill keep all this info in mind..an be sure to research more to fully understand this, i understand it a lil more from your input.

OK Finally I figured it all out on this.. ahh I feel better.. I took a buch of pics of the differences I had and knocked it down to as few as possible and will make it as simple as possible.... heres the run down.. From what my Chitons book says for 1986-1993 Integra 1.8 & 1.7's, Legends, and Vigor's is: . The EGR System comes in all cars EXCEPT Integra 5spd's.. I'm guessing all other cars only puts it at the one's the book covers.. but atleast you know what your looking into now.. It wasnt bacause of the OBD Version..

5spd integra's don't have the EGR Valve & EGR Lift sensor unit, no Air Boost unit (Air boost was incorporated into Integra Automatics - Gives the intake more air for cranking) & No #2 control box. Only the integra Automatic Auto has an ECU Controlled Fast Idle valve inside the Control box, All others are controlled by a temp-sensitive thermowax valve reacting to coolant circulation through the valve body. Also EGR Control Solenoid Valve (CSV).is inside the #2 Control box.. So none of that stuff's in the 5spd integra's only..

Also It says in the book that the 4cyl's have 1 O2 sensor on the manifold, 6cyl's have 2.. One on each manifold.. My 91 5spd had one on the manifold, but the 92 Automatic has it right behind the Flange at the Cat... So keep all that in mind when your ready to slap it together.. If they're different OBD Versions, just swap out any sensors that dont clip up.. One at a time so you dont get any in the wrong place on accident..

Click on the pics, I just spend the last 2 hours hookin you up!! Helped me clear my mind to cause that was buggin me for 2 days not knowing why the EGR systems are used on everything EXCEPT the 5spd integra's only.. Weird..

-Kevin

Last edited:
Back