B16 With B18 Head

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

doofnoil

what do you guys think of this combination for a turbo setup?

an LS head would be a complete waste of time.
A GSR would work, but why?
A type R head would also work, but the cost makes it not really worth it.

so having a near pefect r/s ratio and a 10:1 compression isn't worth the 300 bucks it would cost to piece together this setup? Sorry for asking such a stupid question, I thought some actual numbers would be discussed...

Originally posted by doofnoil@Apr 13 2003, 09:43 PM
I thought some actual numbers would be discussed...

You didn't really specify what you wanted to "discuss" other than dropping a B18 head on a B16 engine and boosting that- all anyone had to go on was assumptions and trying to figure out what you were actually asking. Try being more specific, and let us know exactly which B18 head you're talking about. There's more than one.

I don't have a b16 yet...but I know this guy that has a b16 shortblock with less than 20k on it, and he just did an lsvtec conversion so he has a head off of an ls b18 if that helps any. But he said I could by them both from him for 300 bucks. So Instead of getting a b16 swap which should come out to around 2000, I was thinking about buying this and getting an lsd tranny for about 600 bucks somewhere, one that I could rebuild, then mounts and misc. crap plus mounts should come out to around 1500 bucks. So I could use the extra 500 to start piecing together a turbo setup. That's my plans.

So you mean LS head.

That is really not worth it. You would have a bottom end that was built for 8200 RPM with a head that barely makes power at 7000 RPM. This engine would make far less power than a B16 swap. The B16 makes its power by breathing well at high RPM. The LS uses the longer stroke to compensate for the lower red line. So basically you would be taking the worst part of each engine and putting them together.

well not really the worst part of each engine, but the weaknesses of the LS head would be very apparent on a tiny block.

Back