B16a In 88-91 Civic Hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Yo. I posted a while back about a 92-95 Civic with a B16A2 swap and got some good help. But budget won't allow that to happen, so I'm having to buy a 88-91 Hatch Civic. Would a JDM B16A work fairly easy? Like I said before, I'm not too good with the electrical portion.

By the way, would there be a cheaper USDM version of the B16A (del Sol?) that would fit in with no or little wiring complications?

no there is no USDM version of the B16a ur looking for, the only 1 is from the SiR, and i believe its obd2 so it will b a bitch to wire and a hell of alot more expensive than the a1. the only other option if u want to stick with ease and price is a b18a, more torque but lacks vtec and high HP. i love it and i have everything for my swap. picked up linkage today for 20 bucks ( canadian) and upper rad hose for $5 at a wrecker. my total is 1600 ( canadian) for complete engine tranny axels ECU, mounts 450. so right now im at about 2100 and all i gotta buy is sparkplugs and oil, then im good to go. complete b18's run for about 2000-2500 ( canadian ) and a b16a is about 3000-3500(canadian) if u look around. those are the only 2 worthwhile cheap swaps. GSR is a lil more work and a lil more $$. but if u arent good with electrical go with b18a, its all STRAIGHT PLUG AND PLAY, no vtec wiring or anything like that. I never swapped and engine b4 and i did my b18a swap with 3 friends in a weekend. ( b4 i crashed the car and got my new CRX with new b18a swap). its easy, mounts then modifieng linkage and exhaust are only semi-hard problems that are easily overcomeable. if u wanna deal with wiring a b16a is a great engine. but i still believe b18a>b16a
U can never replace torque, u can always gain hp.( LS/Vtec LS/T LS/Nos)

Originally posted by SleEPeR_CRX Posted on Feb 8 2003+ 07:32 AM -->
SleEPeR_CRX Posted on Feb 8 2003 @ 07:32 AM ) said:
the only 1 is from the SiR, and i believe its obd2 so it will b a bitch to wire and a hell of alot more expensive than the a1.
The motor in the siR is the A1 and it is the same obd as the 88-91 civic/rex,which is obd 0

Originally posted by SleEPeR_CRX Posted on Feb 8 2003@ 07:32 AM
if u look around. those are the only 2 worthwhile cheap swaps.
The B16A1 is only about $1150 for motor,tranny,ecu... plus the parts to put it in from HAsport=around $2000 or less.

SleEPeR_CRX Posted on Feb 8 2003
@ 07:32 AM
but i still believe b18a>b16a
U can never replace torque,
More like B16A>B18A.The civic is light and the torque isn't as nescessary to get it moving,besides it isn't like the B18A is a torque monster,by any means.

It's a pretty easy install if you get the right mounts and linkage. You can use 90-93 integra mounts if your on a budget as well as 90-93 integra linkage and cut and weld it to fit. Also 90-93 integra throttle cable...

Thanks. This place solves so many problems that I won't be surprised to see the answer to world peace on here soon. Anyway, just to double check something here tho. B16A with Hasport mounts, linkage, and wiring harness should work with practically a direct bolt up and plug in right?

I want to tell you yes,as long as you wire the vtec it should be fine.This is from the swap tab:
B16A: Mount kit required
Transmission: S1, J1, A1, Y1 or YS1
Shift Linkage: Need adjustable shift linkage from Hasport or shortened shift linkage from 90-93 Integra
Axles: B16A Axles
Wiring: DX, LX, and Standard (dual point injection) models the wiring needs to be modified for port injection first. To use PR3 or PW0 four wires need to be added, VTEC, VTEC oil pressure, knock sensor and second O2.
Upper Radiator Hose: 92 GSR, trim to fit
Lower Radiator Hose: 90 Integra, trim to fit
Throttle Cable: 90 Integra
Clutch Cable: Stock
Air Conditioning: Use Hasport AC bracket with stock AC compressor.
Chassis Prep: Make a dent on the left-hand frame rail for alternator pully clearance.
Emissions: Purge cutoff solenoid valve needs to be Teed into the fuel pressure regulator for vacuum source.

So if you have the si of hf you should be good,with the aforementioned wiring.

dude, i wasnt talking about the JDM SiR engine for the rex. i know thats a b16a1, im talking about the Civic SiR engine, 99-2000 or whatever it was, that isnt obd0 and wont bolt right up. Its also hydro trans. i know the JDM b16a1 from 88-91 CRX's bolt right in.

I still think torque < hp and B18>b16. Best idea if u have a friends with a integra drive that, and if u have a friend with a b16 civic, drive it and decide what ulike better. everyone likes something different.

Originally posted by SleEPeR_CRX@Feb 8 2003, 09:23 PM
dude, i wasnt talking about the JDM SiR engine for the rex. i know thats a b16a1, im talking about the Civic SiR engine, 99-2000 or whatever it was...

It's just the si,not siR.It is a B16A2,unless your talking about a EDM which is B16A2 from 92-95 also.

a guy i knew built a b18a block with a b20 crank and a b16a head with t3 turbo off from a saab, and a light port and polish job and a few bolt on performance upgrades and ran around 360hp and 300lb/ft not bad for as cheap as it can be built...

The swap is very easy. You can pick up a B16a1 from streetimports.com for around $1500 U.S. dollars and shipping. as far as the mounts and wiring go, check out Hasport.com they make a mount kit as well as build a wiring harness (you have to ship them your origonal and they rewire it) I figured it would cost me around $3000 if I did the work myself. I plan to swap a B16a1 into my 90 dx hb. The hardest part is getting the right ends on the CV axels, the axels themselves are the right length and the ends that go into your hubs will be right, but finding the right splines to fit the new transaxel is a pain especially if you don't know what the engine came out of.

:angry: I hate to lose

Originally posted by Jake 21@Feb 9 2003, 05:52 AM
I figured it would cost me around $3000 if I did the work myself. I plan to swap a B16a1 into my 90 dx hb. The hardest part is getting the right ends on the CV axels, the axels themselves are the right length and the ends that go into your hubs will be right, but finding the right splines to fit the new transaxel is a pain especially if you don't know what the engine came out of.

It shouldn't be that much.$1150 for motor,ecu and tranny,$359 for mounts,$350 for axles,$250 for wiring harness and the shiftlinkage,which I've seen for about $100.That puts you at $2209 add two to three hundred for anything that goes wrong and your still at only $2500 not to mention the fact that you can find all this parts for less,if you look around.It is very conceivable to get it done for right around $2000.And there is no problem figuring out what car it came from,since your using different axles anyway you just need to know what transmission you have sitting in front of you.

Just get 90-93 integra axles, they work fine.

Back