B16's Time Trial Road Racing Del Sol Overhaul Thread!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Yup, rod worked out great so far.

No need for a retune, only rod and crank were swapped. Crank is same stroke so shouldn't make a difference. :)

We'll see how it goes this Saturday at Infineon. It is a test/tune day which is ok so I can sort the car without having to worry about my laptimes so much.

Actually,
I will be Dec 3-4 for 24 hours of LeMons if our 240z makes it through the August event at Thunderhill. :)

Last edited:
Made it through the test/tune day today at Sears pt (infineon). What a relief, the car ran excellent. Didn't lose a drop of oil with my new catch can setup. I was actually able to just hang out between sessions instead of chasing down problems like before. I need to step up my game in the car though, I'm about 5 seconds off the pace for my class. Grrr.. I'm slowly gaining confidence in my car again. Played around with suspension settings a bit more, my rebound was set way too tight. Helped some but I think there is still more to be had.

I did have an "oh shit" moment first session out on the 2nd lap, spun going into the carousel and got hit by a BMW (so slightly). I didn't think he hit me and was just close. He came by later saying he did and I saw the mark on the car. I'll post up some incar footage later.

Glad you made it out unscathed. Was the car very close behind when it let go? What does your alignment look like?

I cant wait to see the footage.

Car is corner balanced right? What is your camber and toe set at?

Dont mess with the suspension too much! Personally I did this at Sebring which is not very forgiving and ended up just putting everything back to soft and slowly tuning up again, wasted about a day doing that.

I should have some video on youtube tomorrow night.

IIRC (i couldn't find my sheet) my alignment is
Front: 0 toe, -3.5 degrees camber
Rear: 0 toe, -3.0 degrees camber

Front has a +10mm spacer on each wheel
Front swaybar is currently disconnected.

Car was corner balanced, had a 50.2% cross weight.

Was running Hankook C51's in 225/45/15 at around 38lbs hot.

Have you ever tried toe out in the front at all? I'm running 1/16 out up front and it made a pretty big difference.

With an LSD I have kept my front bar connected which is about 21 mm. I just dont like the feel with it off. 21mm front 23 rear, I need to probably go slightly bigger in the rear for a little more rotation.

My camber (-4 frt -2 rear) is a little different but similar, we have close wheel bases so not too much of apple to oranges.

I would also say a hair of toe in in the rear. I know in the last video I saw with you driving you also had the tail go out on you. You recovered well though. I'm not sure if it will be better with your front sway reconnected or if you add a bit of toe in in the rear. Either will help to keep it from over rotating.

Have you ever tried toe out in the front at all? I'm running 1/16 out up front and it made a pretty big difference.

With an LSD I have kept my front bar connected which is about 21 mm. I just dont like the feel with it off. 21mm front 23 rear, I need to probably go slightly bigger in the rear for a little more rotation.

My camber (-4 frt -2 rear) is a little different but similar, we have close wheel bases so not too much of apple to oranges.
Ya, the jury is still out on the front sway. I'm undecided on it, it does feel different.

I would also say a hair of toe in in the rear. I know in the last video I saw with you driving you also had the tail go out on you. You recovered well though. I'm not sure if it will be better with your front sway reconnected or if you add a bit of toe in in the rear. Either will help to keep it from over rotating.

That over rotation last time was a result of cold tires on a very wet track. :)

I'm not really sure what I don't feel comfortable with on my setup, it is hard for me to articulate. I think I need more seat time with it.. :(

just out of curiosity, what of you go with a little less camber out back? i figure with that much neg camber, it would make the car unstable at corner entry/exit... i figure you already have a thicker sway bar in the rear, when ive tried to set my rear camber at -2.5, it became very unstable on the highway, especially on the entrance/exit ramps.... now im confused....

Last edited:
Stability seems fine. Its that negative because people say thats what these particular tires like. So many variables... :(

This is why people spend a lot of money dialing in their suspensions etc and why people are dedicated on race teams for it. Does seem high on the rear but I know certain tires react better like you said.

It seems like you are going to need a lot of seat time to figure it out.

I will be in the same boat soon as well.

Speaking of seat time, I just signed up for another track day this Sunday. Let's see how it goes.... Capturing video from last weekend now. :p

holy shit on that spin lol!

you get a ride along because of the spin?

that course looks like youre on the edge of losing it in general to be fast.

Back