B16's Time Trial Road Racing Del Sol Overhaul Thread!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I say a good 220 to 230 whp on e85 if you can advance the intake cam any and retard exhaust a bit.

Well.. Looks like I'm gunna pull pistons and replace rings. Blowing smoke pretty good and compression is low for my setup. Avg 210 psi, should be 270+. Afr kept bouncing around too, need a new fuel pump maybe? Only 171whp 119tq. :( oh and found I need to replace an axle. Yay... :p

well.....

ummm....

that was.....

ummm.......

yeah......

:whistle:

:hide:

good luck on the rebuild

:/

I know how that goes dude. I had a B17 in my civic for a while (9 days) and when I dropped it off at the tuner, he filled it with high-test fuel, then tuned everything. I made like 180-190 at first, but I made 0 after it threw a rod through the block when one of his coworkers took it for a good rip, mis-shifted into 3rd at the top of 4th, and spewed oil and aluminum chunks across the highway.

How old were the rings? Have you ever replaced the in-tank filter on your fuel pump?

EDIT: the shop did pay for a new longblock, and offered to install it at their cost.

Last edited:
The rings were brand new. However I did not pay attention to the direction (up/down) they needed to be in when installing. :(

I have never replaced that intank filter.

Well.. Looks like I'm gunna pull pistons and replace rings. Blowing smoke pretty good and compression is low for my setup. Avg 210 psi, should be 270+. Afr kept bouncing around too, need a new fuel pump maybe? Only 171whp 119tq. :( oh and found I need to replace an axle. Yay... :p

sometimes hot chicks are a bad lay. you expect better and find out things are bad. there is a silver lining to this. it's better than having an axle break on the track and fucking things up, or even worse, blowing a ring and killing the whole engine.

you'll get this fixed in no time and it will come out better than you would have before. good luck and keep us updated.

Thanks man. I know its not too big of a deal. I can do it with the engine still in the car. I'm actually happy it didn't go worse. I had set low expectations. You're right though, engine was good otherwise. :)

Do you know for a fact you installed the piston rings wrong? Did you tear it down yet?
I do not know yet. I haven't torn it apart yet. I've already ordered new rings and new HG. Hopefully I can tear into it tonight.

damn that blows, make sure your p2w clearance is good, and your ring gap is in spec. also clock the rings

Pulled the pistons out day before yesterday. The clocking was all bad. When re-installing with new rings I noticed when I used the ring compressor it was very easy to mess up the clocking of the rings. Lesson learned.... Also 2nd compression rings were upside down. I need to not drink so much when engine building...

I think my HG might have had a leak as well? Oil came out very milky.

I'm pretty sure my P2W clearance is good since I had a machine shop do the work. I don't have the tools to check it properly.

Rings are replaced, pistons back in and the head is back on. Now I just need to find another few hours to plug everything back in and fill up the coolant and I'm ready to start her up again.

glad you got it all back together. it would be real interesting re-do the compression test, and put in the dyno again... see what kind of difference there is.

Back