B16's Time Trial Road Racing Del Sol Overhaul Thread!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16

Super Moderator
VIP
So,
The time has come to start competing. Last year I did not do enough events with NASA to continue instructing with them; so I decided to start Time Trials and eventually Honda Challenge.

The car has seen a lot of track time. I have old stuff that needs to be replaced; like:
Tien HA coilovers - I need something more serious...
ATS LSD - Needs to be rebuilt; moving to a KAAZ instead. This diff will be for sale (for a DC2)
Toyo RA1's - They don't make them anymore and I want something a little faster.
OEM B16A3 - Has been a good motor; with CTR cams it made 174whp. It has 180k miles on it, 10k of which is probably track only miles.

So; what am I doing now?

I have been on a shopping spree gathering parts for the overhaul. Some stuff I've had for literally years; like the engine. It has been semi-built for 3 years now; its time to finish it and put it in...

JRZ RS - new coilover I'm getting, with Eibach ERS springs and pillow mounts. Not sure on spring rate yet; I'll be doing some testing to figure that out with different rates.
KAAZ LSD - Figure everyone in HC is using this for a reason and my ATS needs to be rebuilt anyways; might as well move on.
Hankook z214's 225/45/15 - Stepping up in tire; along with size (from a 205)
B18C5 - With CTR pistons and Blox HSL cams.
HANS Device - I needed one anyways..

The coilover decision was a big one. I was going to go Koni 3011's but Andrie from PRIMA RACING | Home Page suggested I look at the JRZ instead. A little more cost for a lot more performance; why not..

Here are the pictures of the car as it sits today; with its recent MAACO paint job. I'll keep updating as I start getting work done. Next weekend the suspension is coming off and the motor is coming out.
IMG_1616.JPG

IMG_1617.JPG

IMG_1620.JPG

IMG_1621.JPG

Tune on B16.
delSloTune.jpg

alloncart.jpg

block1.jpg

block2.jpg

Had a hole in the block here near the squirter; welded back up.
fixedHole1.jpg

The hole before fix..
holeInBlock.jpg

newPiston1.jpg

newPiston2.jpg

newPiston3.jpg

Brake ducting
IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

Remote oil filter mount, for oil cooler:
IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

*OLD Pics updated 04/25/10

IMG_1140.JPG

IMG_1142.JPG

IMG_1143.JPG

IMG_1144.JPG

IMG_1145.JPG

IMG_1146.JPG

Nice guage mount I made. :)

IMG_1150.JPG

B16B pistons in B18C5 block.
IMG_1151.JPG

*NEW Pics added 10/25/10

Rear trailing arm removed.. this took forever because of the compensator arm.
IMG_5125.jpg

Bastard of a compensating arm. I need to cut this out now that I got it to back out some.. Frozen to the bushing.
IMG_5127.jpg

Getting ready to pull the head for head work.

Notice the white shit on the heads of the bolts in the oil; condensation/water. I think this is from my catch can that vents to atmosphere with no filter. Suggestions??
IMG_5128.jpg

IMG_5129.jpg

Cams out, everything disconnected..

IMG_5130.jpg

No head.

IMG_5131.jpg

Is this ok for the exhaust valves?
IMG_5132.jpg

Update 06/07/10

Cut that compensting arm out finally:
IMG_2102.JPG

The bolt aftermath...
IMG_2103.JPG

Double adjustable JRZ RS with modified Tien top hats.
IMG_2104.JPG

Rebound adjustment on the bottom:
IMG_2105.JPG

Installed with new LCA with sphericals.
IMG_2108.JPG

Another angle. Looks like I need to space out the end link so it is not at such an agressive angle.
IMG_2109.JPG

Rebound adjustment for the rear's
IMG_2110.JPG

06/20/10

I got the engine almost completely complete! Checked P2V clearances and even at full range on the cam gears there was no contact with the piston with vtec lobes engaged. Also got my rear trailing arm sphericals installed.

IMG_2150.JPG

IMG_2151.JPG

IMG_2152.JPG

12/08/10 pics here.
https://hondaswap.com/civic-del-sol...sol-overhaul-thread-499811/3.html#post1667892

Will update with more later!

Last edited:
10/8 on your car would be nice. maybe even 12/10. Not sure about the JRZ choice though. very pricey, and from what i've read in the bmw boards, they are highly over-rated for the price. Perhaps their honda parts are different.

and your vtec looks to be coming on too late. could smooth out that midrange a bit more. but that's a bit futile with the new motor going in.

The JRZ's will be custom valved; they're not off the shelf. Not sure what the BMW guys are doing. He is suggesting I disconnect my front sway as well. I'm going to go with his inputs to start and go from there. I figure I can trust a multi-time winning HCH1 driver. :)

ive had great results with 10/8 for the racing logics :thumbsup:

but i run a 23mm rear bar and no front bar.

well our setup is pretty close, all poly stuff and strut bars, camber adjustment.

how much does the sol weigh? the grey car in full interior with me in it is ~2300lbs.

should see some nice power gains with cams and CTR pistons. Im guessing 12.5:1+ are you gonna P&P the head?

So what put that hole in the block?

well our setup is pretty close, all poly stuff and strut bars, camber adjustment.

how much does the sol weigh? the grey car in full interior with me in it is ~2300lbs.
Before the cage and seat was installed, it weighed 2190lbs. I need to be at 2390lbs with driver for my class. I weigh 200lbs and I'm sure the cage added around 80. So I have some weight loss I need to do on the car.

should see some nice power gains with cams and CTR pistons. Im guessing 12.5:1+ are you gonna P&P the head?
Ya, should be right around 12.5:1 - 13? Not going to P&P the head. I've already eaten up my budget with what I have so far. I plan on running E85 to hopefully throw some more timing in and take advantage of that high CR. Aiming for 220whp on a dynojet. I have no idea if I can get there. If I only make 215whp; then I get to drop my weight to 2370lbs. So we'll see. :)

I wish I could get on a track.. I called around, and the cheapest within a couple hours of me is $3500/year with $90/mo fees and $20 per track day fee. I cant swing that for recreational stuff.. not while digging my way out of debt. I built a track car for my back yard. I had no idea the fees were that silly. So, there it sits, pouting.

I wish I could get on a track.. I called around, and the cheapest within a couple hours of me is $3500/year with $90/mo fees and $20 per track day fee. I cant swing that for recreational stuff.. not while digging my way out of debt. I built a track car for my back yard. I had no idea the fees were that silly. So, there it sits, pouting.
Check out NASA; this is who I used to instruct with and will soon TT with.

Typically $30 a year (i think) includes a subscription to Grassroots Motorsports. Weekends are like $160 a day; free instruction for beginners.

NASA TEXAS RACING // OFFICIAL SITE

Ya, should be right around 12.5:1 - 13? Not going to P&P the head. I've already eaten up my budget with what I have so far. I plan on running E85 to hopefully throw some more timing in and take advantage of that high CR. Aiming for 220whp on a dynojet. I have no idea if I can get there. If I only make 215whp; then I get to drop my weight to 2370lbs. So we'll see. :)

Yeah somewere in that CR, What bore are you running? I belive they are 81mm because I dont see the oversize stamp.

I see your using Nippon pistones eh?:thumbsup:

With E85 I think you should hit them numbers, Just make sure you have good sized injectors, E85 takes a bit more fule to air but the 105 rating is awesome.

Good luck man in for the build!

Yeah somewere in that CR, What bore are you running? I belive they are 81mm because I dont see the oversize stamp.

I see your using Nippon pistones eh?:thumbsup:

With E85 I think you should hit them numbers, Just make sure you have good sized injectors, E85 takes a bit more fule to air but the 105 rating is awesome.

Good luck man in for the build!
I think they are oversized? I don't remember to be honest. Got them like 4 years ago. Lol

Ya, I'm running 440cc injectors. My Evo runs on E85 so I'm pretty familiar with it. I imagine the demands on E85 for NA aren't crazy; 440's should cut it. I hope.

oh yeah i see the stamp now, .50mm oversized. ah i see, good quality pistons for the price.

440's will be more than enough.

Hans device came in yesterday!

Got the passenger rear end completely removed. Still having a bitch of a time with the rear toe compensator arm being sized to the rubber bushing.

I discovered my RTA bushing was totally shot; so I ordered the PCI spherical. While I was at it decided to go spherical for the front LCA's as well. Will post pics later!

Back