B18A1 into '90 Civic wagon

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

A ys1 from a 92 would be a GSR...nice. Same as a B16 trans.. What are your cell problems?

well, since you asked... I have a code 1 (O2 sensor) and 14(IACV) The o2 codes as soon as the key is turned on, the iacv after it runs. Also has rough idle. I've tried:
-purged the cooling system(in case of air bubbles fooling the iacv/sensor)
-cleaned the iacv
-tightened the ring in the fitv (idle problem- no help)
-tried a new o2 sensor (coded immediately)
-reversed the 2 o2 sens. wires from the obd1 jumper (That just added a code 41 o2 heat)

also even after at full temp, fan has cycled, there's still vacuum at BOTH bypass ports in the throttle body- iacv and fitv both open- they shouldn't be, right?

I did have a brainstorm driving to work this morning: I don't have the ground wire from the core support to the head on it yet... think that would cause this much grief? I'll try it as soon as I get home!

ys1 is both the tranny code for the 92-93 gsr, and usdm 90-93 ls/rs/gs non-lsd trans. And all of these have a 4.4 final drive. the 94+ s80 ls trans had the 4.26 fd.

thanks. definitely not limited-slip! I just about popped the rt. front tire on the teg before I tore it down:D

also even after at full temp, fan has cycled, there's still vacuum at BOTH bypass ports in the throttle body- iacv and fitv both open- they shouldn't be, right?

I did have a brainstorm driving to work this morning: I don't have the ground wire from the core support to the head on it yet... think that would cause this much grief? I'll try it as soon as I get home!

Go through this writeup and check your iacv and fitv
How to fix your idleing woes! FITV IACV - Honda-Tech

Not having the ground wire attached is certainly not good and will cause some issues. Whether or not its causing the problems your having now i dunno. When my ground wire deteriated over time the car started acting like the main relay was acting up, and it would start one second, but not want to even crank the next. It also caused my rpm needle to fluctuate on the gauge even though the engine wasn't changing rpm, and it also caused my engine temp to be all over the place.

Go through this writeup and check your iacv and fitv
How to fix your idleing woes! FITV IACV - Honda-Tech

Not having the ground wire attached is certainly not good and will cause some issues. Whether or not its causing the problems your having now i dunno. When my ground wire deteriated over time the car started acting like the main relay was acting up, and it would start one second, but not want to even crank the next. It also caused my rpm needle to fluctuate on the gauge even though the engine wasn't changing rpm, and it also caused my engine temp to be all over the place.

Yeah, thanks. That's the very same write-up I followed to clean iacv and tighten fitv.

Also, the ground made no difference. I installed the ground wire, cleared the codes, and they came right back- same idle, too.:mad: I'm gonna have to dig into the harness with a multimeter...ugh!

I'm a dumbass. I had iacv and intake temp transposed. D'oh!

ha nice, yea that'll get ya every time

20387946cs2.png

Harness v.2.0

DSCN7016.jpg

rerouted and tweaked some things, since it was all laid bare again. Ready to put it back in, hopefully for good!

91 teg LS motor and tranny...

so i have a 91 integra LS 4 dr, 5 spd...recently thrashed it but runs like it never knew...i know the engine and tranny are still good and im looking to put it into a 90 civic hatchback (only shell i found so far for a decent price) its a b18a1 motor and if it had been made a month later it would have been a 92...its not obd 2 and the manual says it has a pcv valve, but i certianly dont see one. Anyway just wondering if its even worth a shot...id kind of like to keep my seats from the acura too but those are electric...different project different day

so i have a 91 integra LS 4 dr, 5 spd...recently thrashed it but runs like it never knew...i know the engine and tranny are still good and im looking to put it into a 90 civic hatchback (only shell i found so far for a decent price) its a b18a1 motor and if it had been made a month later it would have been a 92...its not obd 2 and the manual says it has a pcv valve, but i certianly dont see one. Anyway just wondering if its even worth a shot...id kind of like to keep my seats from the acura too but those are electric...different project different day

It's definitely worth doing, and a pretty easy swap if it's non-OBD, especially since you have the complete car for parts. If your '90 hatch is an Si (already mpfi) it's even easier. As far as seats, I'll be putting the teg seats in my wagon shortly. Electric ones shouldn't be too much harder.

yeah still have the car...looking for any shell at a decent price that i can easily drop that engine and tranny into, some in the area, but i think id like a litle smaller car (2 dr) just for the sake of dropping weight to see how that engine will perform...i suppose its a good time for a rebuild while i look. 213,000 but runs like new...ive put new plugs, wires, dist cap, and fuel filter on. Ive run 2 fuel injection cleanings in the past 20,000 miles, and added a cold air intake. I always use synthetice and ran 93 octane, she has a small tick (i imagine just a lifter, may just be able to adjust valve lash for the time being) but it doesnt really seem to affect anything. has alot of power, and no leaks..had a tendency to torque-steer actually...

All the swap articles mention denting the 'frame' rail for alternator clearance, but nobody mentioned this:

DSCN7018.jpg

I've been wondering ever since I set the engine in the car about clearance here, and sure enough, the hood was hard to latch and stuck up a bit. Just barely hit the corner:

DSCN7017.jpg

Pics of the finished DA2EE exhaust mod
icon_cool.gif

DSCN7021.jpg

DSCN7027.jpg

DSCN7025.jpg

Finally got to drive it tonight...what a difference!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

...and no cracks about the welds. Just 'cause I own a welding machine don't make me a welder
icon_redface.gif
In my defense, I was laying on the ground, welding cover passes over rusty old welds, trying not to knock over my PBR...

good to see you have it running
emthup.gif

thats odd you had an issue with the hood hitting the valve cover there though. i've never seen or heard of that happening before.. i know i certainly didn't have an issue there with my engine clearing. maybe its just a wagovan thing?

I haven't heard of interference issues there either. Did Hasport make more than one version of B into 4thgen mounts? I bought these used...

After checking out some bays I admire, I did a little carving

DSCN7029.jpg

little by little 'til I could fit it in

DSCN7031.jpg

also relocated the head/vc ground

DSCN7037.jpg

and a big long single flash in OBD1ese is NOT a one, it's a ten!
icon_redface.gif

DSCN7036.jpg

Now, a wagonist who had NOT been enjoying a Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale would've known better than to back down the hill in the backyard to turn around... in flooding conditions
icon_lol.gif

DSCN7039.jpg

Guess I'm not driving the wagon tomorrow- it's STUCK

DSCN7040.jpg

What's up guys, i have the same proyect can help me???
I got one Honda Civic Wagon 91 DX and try to swap the B18a1, all components in the engine are installed only need the wiring of dpfi to mpfi harness, please help me

Back