B18C and B16 head differences?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

n1mr0d

I am really having a tough time finding the differences between the B16 head and the B18C head. I've searched for 3 days now and I can't find what the differences are. Maybe I'm a shitty searcher! I am of the mind that if hondaswap doesn't have it, then I most likely don't need it! I haven't been as throe on other sites.

I know the cams are different but I am more interested in the physical head differences, if any (besides the shitty port job the type R has), and if the valves/valve guides are different between the heads. I know the Type R has different intake valves but the exhaust valves are the same as the GSR.

Second is the Hondata Intake gasket or similar worth the 65 bucks? Also in the race version where you have to re route coolant lines is the corner of the head that is now blocked off noticeably effected as heat dissipation goes?

Third are the ARP head stud bolts worth while? I know I have read that Hondas are just fine with the stock head bolts when going boost. I almost always anti-seize bolts that I remove before I reinstalled them but I am thinking that I shouldn't when I reinstall the head studs.

Any positive input is appreciated. :)

the heads are almost the same.....the gsr cams are better for FI and the IM sucks.....but ive seen dyno graphs on this site where both heads flow almost identical....one is like 1-2 hp better low and the other 1-2hp better at higher rpms....pick one....i like the b16 its the same cast as b18c5.....but its up to you...

get the regular hondata gasket and get the real thing i dont see the need for one but its just me....some might....

.yes arp makes a great product....i used head studs and rod bolts on my lsv......dont use antiseize....use the lube they give you.....

before i answer, when you say b18c do you mean the gsr or the type r? this will matter alot on the answer.

Well if you don't mind both. I intentionally put B18C to cover both the GSR and Type R head. So if you can all the info you got would be cool.

gsr head is different than the type r and b16 head.

b16/type r = same cast different internals

gsr = different cast

gsr intake manifold isnt crap, its crap if you dont have the right ecu. gsr manifold can easily have the secondaries removed and gutted since it comes apart in the middle.

gsr head has square combustion chambers bumping compression slightly over the other 2. i personaly went with the gsr head because i believe it will yield more power down the road with the same mods as on a b16 head.

Originally posted by vtecsir1@Jun 23 2005, 07:42 PM

gsr = different cast

[post=515824]Quoted post[/post]​

thank god someone said it. the b16 head is made from the same cast mold as the type r head, thus the b16 flows much more then the gsr head. thats why now the popular ls/vtec is becoming ls with b16 head instead of gsr head.

ARP head studs? good quality.

and type are doesnt have shitty port job, at least not as shitty as the gsr if you look at it that way.

B16/type r: Open Pocket Combustion chamber

GSR: Quench area Pocket Combustion chamber

GSR will yeild more comperssion but the Pr3 heads will yield more volume.

b16 and ITR have diferrent bolt pattern than the GSR but the same on exhaust.

Originally posted by HollowJDM+Jun 24 2005, 01:51 AM-->
@Jun 23 2005, 07:42 PM

gsr = different cast

[post=515824]Quoted post[/post]​

thank god someone said it. the b16 head is made from the same cast mold as the type r head, thus the b16 flows much more then the gsr head. thats why now the popular ls/vtec is becoming ls with b16 head instead of gsr head.

ARP head studs? good quality.

and type are doesnt have shitty port job, at least not as shitty as the gsr if you look at it that way.
[post=515828]Quoted post[/post]​

Actually, no, it doesn't flow a lot better than the GSR head, both have their advantages throughout the RPM range. and the difference isn't that big anyway. Not to mention the GSR head will yield high compression because of the shape of it's combustion chambers.

:werd: to john.

the b16/gsr heads are almost identcal in terms of flow. they do differ, but its really negligable.

the type r only flows more because it has a stock mild port job. its not even that great of a port job. your better off taking a stock gsr or b16 head and getting it professionally ported. it will make way more then the type r.

basicaly everything between the b16 head and type r head are th same besides whats actually inside. they both come from the same cast. and both share all the same intake bolt patterns.

gsr and b16 are widely different. different casting. gsr has squared off combustion chambers which alone bump compression about .2 over the b16. it also has a different intake bolt pattern. intake manifolds will not swap between the two without a good bit of modification.

the only reason people choose the b16 head over the gsr when building a motor or whatnot is the price. and b16 heads are more common. personally i agree with vtecsir1 about the gsr head making more power then the b16 head mod for mod, simply because of the increased compression

Cool. I'm learning a lot about the differences on the head but can anyone say if the valve stems or valve guides are the same size throughout the family. I am almost positive that they are except the Type R intake valves are a little lighter.

Also any more input on the hondata gasket or the arp studs. It sounds like not to many people feel as though they are worth while. Granted both companies make great products but I'm looking and the useful/worth my 200 bucks factor?

Well, the Hondata gasket works. If I was boosting, I'd do everything I could to keep intake temps down. As far as the head bolts. I wouldn't reuse them, if you don't get the ARPs, use new Honda ones.

also, the upper radiator outlet are in different locations. On the gsr head, it is more toward the front (exhaust side) of the head, and on the b16/type r head, it is towards the back, kinda underneath the distributor.

Originally posted by n1mr0d@Jun 23 2005, 10:12 PM
Cool. I'm learning a lot about the differences on the head but can anyone say if the valve stems or valve guides are the same size throughout the family. I am almost positive that they are except the Type R intake valves are a little lighter.

Also any more input on the hondata gasket or the arp studs. It sounds like not to many people feel as though they are worth while. Granted both companies make great products but I'm looking and the useful/worth my 200 bucks factor?
[post=515879]Quoted post[/post]​

arp head studs are good and worth the money.

hondata intake gasket works but you can find a copy cheaper that does the same thing, its just plastic its not like their gasket is superior. i wouldnt buy an ebay gasket but there are other companies at half the cost of hondata.

a friend in town was making them but at twice the thickness for like 30 bucks.
i dont know if he is still making them or not.
http://www.rpiracing.com

Back