B18c With 4.785 Tranny/lighten Flywheel

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

monzee

recently i read some thread here about lighten flywheel.. I would like to share this with everyone with what happened to my engine...
I have a B18C 4.4tranny stock flywheel in my Civic SiR EK4, swap a 4.785 tranny and Toda lightweight flywheel in... I rev the new swap like before.. n tis wat happened...
dead head
dead CTR piston
with that swap, accelaration is faster, your revs drop fast too...
this swap's good for 0-60 or 0-100, but lose out on holding on to top speed...

holy fuckin' shit. how high did you rev? what cams, springs & retainers were you runnin' and what compression?

stock ITR cams, springs n retainers.. CTR 81mm pistons, ITR 4.785 tranny, should be getting about a 12:1 compression...??
used to be able to rev til 9000 before the tranny swap and toda flywheel...
It happened when RPM was about 8000-8200 on 3rd gear...

how the fuck did that happen? it almost looks like that piston got cherry red to where it was molten and slammed into the head. and how could a lightened flywheel and short tranny do that?

Originally posted by one zexy crx@Apr 4 2003, 06:50 AM
how the fuck did that happen? it almost looks like that piston got cherry red to where it was molten and slammed into the head. and how could a lightened flywheel and short tranny do that?

Hi... all i learned from my mechanic is that the rev limit has changed as the gear ratio differs from a 4.4 tranny.. I don't think the fault lies with the lightened flywheel... but because of the lightened flywheel I was pulling up high revs faster than before..but lose out on top speed... believe me.. that nite i was beating everyone on short sprint.. even a B16B head with B20B block toda cams EK4 was smellin my smoke...
anyway.. u should b getting yo chip soon.. have fun! ;)

all i learned from my mechanic is that the rev limit has changed as the gear ratio differs from a 4.4 tranny

that is :bs:
your mechanic is a retard... its not like revs are read from your speed sensor.. something else happend, i dont see how revving to 8200 would cause that, maybe revving to 9K you run the risk.. but no way changing gear ratios in the tranny is going to change your rev limit... did you maybe downshift making it rev it to 9200?

Originally posted by B16@Apr 4 2003, 10:35 AM
all i learned from my mechanic is that the rev limit has changed as the gear ratio differs from a 4.4 tranny

that is :bs:
your mechanic is a retard... its not like revs are read from your speed sensor.. something else happend, i dont see how revving to 8200 would cause that, maybe revving to 9K you run the risk.. but no way changing gear ratios in the tranny is going to change your rev limit... did you maybe downshift making it rev it to 9200?

no man... I was on a straight.. running from gear 1 @9000rpm (pivot shift light set at 8800rpm), gear 2 @9000rpm..., gear 3 about 8200 rev... a loud sound came from the front.. like a long blow off valve, car jerked hard... all lights came on... engine stall... everything comes to a stop....
I had chipped my ECU, m using a P28 with a OBD1-2 wireharness, my rev limit supposed to be 9600.. worked fine previously with the 4.4 tranny and stock flywheel..able to rev up to 9000 without any problems..

sounds more like the outcome of reving an engine too high
stock parts cant hold to 9000+ on a regular basis
i would put the fault on over-reving
looks like you had some insane valve float and it fucked everything up

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Apr 4 2003, 11:04 AM
looks like you had some insane valve float and it fucked everything up

That's my guess. I wouldn't rev even the ITR valve springs past 8500rpm.

:werd:
Those pics are of valvetrain failure. Your tranny/flywheel had nothing to do with it.

Back