B18C1 Rebuild Questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

swanny

My 95 GSR just rolled over to 140k and it needs some TLC. I am planning to replace the following:
Timing belt
Piston rings
Water pump
Valve seals
Head gasket
Clutch
Bearings?

Is there anything I should add to my list? Is there a rebuild "kit" available with all of the seals/ gaskets etc? Any recommended dealers for these parts? Should I have the head or block milled? Honed? Sorry for all the questions, I just need to get the ball rolling on this project.

Originally posted by swanny@Jul 20 2005, 05:55 PM
My 95 GSR just rolled over to 140k and it needs some TLC. I am planning to replace the following:
Timing belt
Piston rings
Water pump
Valve seals
Head gasket
Clutch
Bearings?

Is there anything I should add to my list? Is there a rebuild "kit" available with all of the seals/ gaskets etc? Any recommended dealers for these parts? Should I have the head or block milled? Honed? Sorry for all the questions, I just need to get the ball rolling on this project.
[post=529160]Quoted post[/post]​

you might as well do a FULL rebuild then...

since you are going as far as the headgasket and changing the bearings. Get the crank balanced and micropolished. Get new valves and valve seals as well as a slight port(if you want). Get the block honed and hot tanked. all of these aren't really a nessecisty, just ideas to get you started.

Don't forget a new oil pump and most importantly, new head bolts or ARP studs if you like.

AutoZone carries a FULL Rebuild kit for GSR's for about $600-$800, if I remember correctly. It comes with everything from the oil pan gasket, all the way to the valve cover gasket. Even has new pistons w/rings but i'm not sure on the rods. But I myself wouldn't trust AutoZone parts with an exstensive rebuild like this. Go OEM everything as far as the gaskets and such go. Good Luck :thumbsup:

go to inlinefour.com and check out their shit.

gaskets (TE & BE) = 272.43

bearings are about $200, possibly..., total seal rings are about $100,

572.43... pretty badass...

Originally posted by civicious@Jul 21 2005, 03:08 PM
Auto Zone makes pistons? Wow...I'll bet they're worse than Nippons...lol
[post=529560]Quoted post[/post]​

yup, when I was working there, I sold at least 15 FULL rebuild kits for for either a B16 or LS :lol: :ph34r:

I suggest pulling out the whole motor, get a fresh hone with oversize pistons and rings, hot tank, balance crank, refresh the head, new oil pump and oil pick up, arp studs, and all those you have in mind.

rebuilding a motor...

well, pulling it's a given.

as well as a hone.

Back