B18C1 SWAP but no VTEC!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pancake

I have a crx swapped with the full 2000 GSR setup. S80 trans, and the B18C1 engine. I got this project, from a friend who didn't fully continue on with it. Right now I'm replacing the head gasket, and while I do that I figure I might as well change a bunch of other stuff while I'm at it.

The car is running on an LS ECU, so of course it won't have VTEC. The Vtec isn't wired up, the wire off of the 2nd cam just lays there. I'm getting a chipped p28 ECU, but what after that will I need to buy to get my Vtec wired? The harness that is in the car, doesn't have a vtec plug, I don't think.

how far did he get? was it ever running?

is the crx a dx model? if so, you'll need to do an mpfi conversion, on top of upgrading the car to obd1 on the ecu side and downgrading the engine to obd1 to match

No it's a 1991 si. it came with an obd0 to obd1 conversion for the ecu. and yes it was running, I just parked it to change the head. other than that it ran great, just no vtec.

you'll have to wire the VTEC wires up to the ECU directly, since there's no place on the CRX harness.

it probably exists... but good luck finding it. you'd need to find a left hand drive b16 ef. so no uk, aussie, japan.... and i don't know where else they shipped!

you can just run any old 16 ish gague wire and get a pinning tool from an electronics store.

Get some VTEC plugs for sensor and switch (with pigtails). Then run electrical lines like B said. Also, see if the conversion harness has lines pigtailed off it already. Many harnesses have this but yours might not. It makes things like that a lot easier. If not, you can pin them into the chipped P28.

Back