B20b Vtec with Stock Internals.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hello, I am new to this forum and i was having a q/s:

I just did a Frank motor built which is B16a (vtec) head on B20b with stock internals.

Will it perform better then B16a ?
How much difference will i get in performance after the B20b VTEC ?

Think about your question my friend. Lets start at how much displacement the B16 has versus the B20. Lets also look at the stroke, B16-77mm vs. B20-89mm. We could go on and look at other factors like the obvious which could be torque and horsepower but I think your question should be answered by now. Enjoy your B20VTEC. :thumbsup:

@ Luis998
Thanks mate yes u answered my qs.
I just got my car back from workshop last night when i posted this thread, My B16 headers are not fitting after B20b as the block so maybe because of that i did not feel it that impressive to drive it home. :mellow:

@ efhondakid
I have made it For Drag purpose so i have to rev it up ... :ph34r: I talked to my Mechanic before doing swap he was pretty sure that reving is not the problem as reving as he thinks reving effect HEAD:confused: , one more B20b running on B16b Vtec, it is not having any problem. Lets Hope for the best and see What Happens ;) *InshaAllah*.Right now Car is on running process so i need ur good lucks :)

@ Luis998
ya i got what you are trying to say man. =)
last night i got my car back from workshop when i posted this thread, header of B16 are not fitting in this setup so i drove it home with headers and annoying sound, maybe that can be the reason i didnt find my B20b that impressive to drive,
lets hope for the best currently its on running process. need your best wishes people

sorry about double posting i am new to this forum that's why this mistake happened =D

listen guys b20b vtec is having low compression pistons will it decrease my performance?

Define high rev please.

Mine tacks at 7200 but it never goes there unless i am at an autox event. Is that high on a fully built B20b with B16a head???

I wouldnt rev it past the stock redline for the B20, 6500-7000, revving it higher than that will eventually cause the rod bolts to stretch and eventually cause piston to vavle contact, which we all know is no good.

so you are telling me third gear might be a good idea

yea wtf indeed. to the OP. if you have a stock bottom end you need to stay at or below the stock redline, that is unless you want your pistons to uppercut the shit out of your valves.

Last edited:
So what if you built the lower end of the b20... how high could it be reved to if you do forged pistons and rods and arp rod bolts would you be able to rev it to 9k? more? less?

i rev my stock b20z bottom end to 7k.... but i shift at 7500 at the strip or if im just really gettin on it. but im not that scared to mess it up either, since my integra is really just my toy car, not a daily driver.

if you build the bottom end you can rev it to about 8000 safely... after that you need modifications to the head to be able to rev to 9000.

The max RPM all depends on the grade of internals you put in it. Everyone seems to be worried about how hard they can rev the motor, but what good does that do if the motor quits makin power 1000 RPM before the rev limiter? None.

it could do a lot of good if u retune the power and torque curve..

If you "retune the power and torue curve" and knowingly put it out side the safe limitations of your engine your an idiot.

Also, why would even consider trying to move your powerband higher into the RPM range, when you can make the same power at lower engine speeds?

If you "retune the power and torue curve" and knowingly put it out side the safe limitations of your engine your an idiot.

Also, why would even consider trying to move your powerband higher into the RPM range, when you can make the same power at lower engine speeds?

yep precisely. only way you'd make power that high up is with a different cam designed to perform well in that higher rpm range.

If you guys are advising him not to rev past the factory redline of the B20, why are numbers above 6k coming into this? The B20B stops making power at 5800.

Back