Best Cams For Type R?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ractive78

What are the best cams to get for an itr, without having to do any extra work to your head? And how much?

If you want to keep your stock valve train, the CTR intake cam would make a noticable difference. The Skunk2 Stage 1 cams will also work with the stock valve train.

the itr cams are bangin man, i wouldnt see any reason to replace them unless youre willing to sacrifice alot of your mid range for a few exrta hp at the top.

Why? Because you read those names in a magazine? Do you have any proof that they are worth the higher cost over Skunk2 cams?

Originally posted by viciousracing@Mar 14 2003, 03:59 PM
i would prefer JUN or Todas. They're great.

Skunk2 Stage II = Jun Type 3
Skunk2 Stage III > Jun

Go read up on the specs. Don't worry so much about the brand names. Put down the magazines too... magazine racer.

I'll probably get flamed for this but Toda built their ITR up using their spec B camshafts and their whole catalogue of parts (except for the individual throttle bodies) and managed a 13.3 according to Superstreet. 13.3 in that car with an N/A set-up seems pretty damn good to me, considering its weight because hardly anything to reduce weight was done. Sorry if that makes me a magazine racer, but I'm sold on them. How does Toda compare to Skunk 2? not taking into account price.

toda cams are great for people looking for more than a "daily driver"
the Toda cams have a more agressive low lobe as well as the high lobe.... this gives more power at lower RPMs than the skunk2's (stock low lobes agressive high lobes) but it will effect the smoothness of the idle and will lower fuel economy

id say get the todas if you have the cash and if you dont give a fuck about the idle (its really not that bad anyway) and arent looking for 30mpg in the city (if your concerned with getting great fuel economy then you shouldnt be racing out a car in the first place)

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Mar 17 2003, 03:17 AM
the Toda cams have a more agressive low lobe as well as the high lobe.... this gives more power at lower RPMs than the skunk2's (stock low lobes agressive high lobes) but it will effect the smoothness of the idle and will lower fuel economy

actually, i thought this was the exact opposite. am i wrong?

Originally posted by heterosapian@Mar 11 2003, 07:45 PM
the itr cams are bangin man, i wouldnt see any reason to replace them unless youre willing to sacrifice alot of your mid range for a few exrta hp at the top.

i swapped out my CTR's for skunk2 stage1's, i notice no difference in midrange and only gains in the top end.

Back