Best Motor For A Crx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cerx

I was wondering what wold be the best motor for a 91 crx hf. I want to stay streetable since it is my daily driver, but i also want to kill camaros and maybe even someday a vette or two. I have thought about the b18a with a b16 head for the ls/vtec swap. I also wanna stay n/a. I have already put my car on a diet (carpet, plastic, dash, trim) and im saving up for my new motor. Also any help on cheap ways to pull power out of my sohc would be helpful.

Originally posted by prawjEKt Cx@Jan 6 2003, 04:45 PM
cheap, streetable, and fast don't go together.... my suggestion would be a turbo b18a .

yea he said he wants to stay na....i say go b18c and swap in sum c5 internals

Originally posted by Integra1990+Jan 6 2003, 04:49 PM-->
prawjEKt Cx
@Jan 6 2003, 04:45 PM
cheap, streetable, and fast don't go together.... my suggestion would be a turbo b18a .

yea he said he wants to stay na....i say go b18c and swap in sum c5 internals

oh i read he wanted to stay n/a... i was suggesting against it, if he wants a fuckin street killer, that seems like the most feesable idea.

SO no ls/vtec? You are talking about an ls with some itr internals like pistons cams, rods, stuff like that right? What about a zc motor? MY friend has one he is gonna sell me for like 3 bills. SHould i pick that up or save for the ls?

Thanks for all your help.

A good friend will bail you out, but your best friend will be the one sitting next to you in jail saying, "that was fucking awesome".

Here is the answer!!!!!!!

B16a- ITR Intake manifold and throttlebody- streetable

Nos Kit - toggle switch activated- Kill camaros.

Bottomline. No need for the LS/VTEC

Once again i sad i wanna stay n/a for those who dont know what n/a is tis naturally aspirated

thank you I know what N/A stands for... but you wanted to be cheap, fast and reliable...... 3 things you can't have in any environment at all,

but dollar for turbo is the more powerful route, not to mention you don't have to rev to 9,000 to make power.

oh i read he wanted to stay n/a... i was suggesting against it, if he wants a fuckin street killer, that seems like the most feesable idea.

no i said cheap on sohc crx si motor for now till i get the money for a new motor. also if i did go turbo what would be the best setup as far as internals? b18a wit itr cams pistons and rods or maintain fairly stock internals and put like a t3/t4 on it?

Originally posted by cerx@Jan 6 2003, 10:13 PM
no i said cheap on sohc crx si motor for now till i get the money for a new motor. also if i did go turbo what would be the best setup as far as internals? b18a wit itr cams pistons and rods or maintain fairly stock internals and put like a t3/t4 on it?

the turbo set up all goes to how much you have and how much you plan on pushing it.... honestly i say get a LS, shoot 8psi through it and leave it stock, make sure you have some decent engine management and a fmu, but that motor can handle that much.

but if you have more money the work on pistons, rods, sleeves, pumps, injectors, shafts, etc....

I agree with the B16A 50shot. bolt-ons. Cheap and runs 13s or high 12s ive seen it.

I just Read that all Motor Hf post. That post is very exagerated, 14's out of a simple MPFI converted DX head, thats a little to much to expect. A stock d16a6 will out perform that motor with the simple difference in stroke, and the difference of the cam. It is true that you will get higher compression if you use a 5th or 6th gen head, but not enough to really make any significant difference, your talking about a 2-3 hp gain out of the 5th gen, and maybe a 4-5 hp gain out of a 6th gen head. Basically your looking at a motor that puts out 100-105 fhp if your lucky which is more like 80 whp, your better off using a Z6 or a Y8 head.

as for the post above that stated putting a ITR intake manifold and TB on the B16a, all that would do is give a 160 Hp Motor really good breathing Characteristics, but the cams would still only allow so much air in and so much exaust out, with having that set up you could prolly look to expect 163 or 164 Hp.

The ideal thing for you to go with would be prolly a simple B16A with a good set of CTR pistons, and either CTR or ITR cams, the best reliability you can find is in sticking with OEM. This Set up will prolly have you in the mid 13's to low 14's range, that of course very much depends on your tranny choice, and assuming you have a good IHE set up

Gary

Dude, 300 is cheap for a ZC. but i got my b18a for 1000, and mounts for 400 Canadian thats like 850 american for both. it will spank the pants off ur ZC anyday. its also a decent engine, strong bottem end and if u do the internals right it can get good top end. Get some cams ( crower stage 2) I/H/E. and get all the necessary stuff, and ull get a low 14 second high 13 second car. a ZC will never hit 13's without forced induction or Nos. the only other way is to go b18c, or the strocker 16a like already said. LS/Vtec is a waist of my money, unless u can build it urself which is risky.

Back