Best overall engine for 89' EF

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Good advice George and the rest of you

your crazy man, a b18c5 and a turbo? for the price of that combo u could throw in a b18b, get forged pistons and connecting rods, piece together a good turbo kit with a t3/t4 turbocharger and s100 hondata, new clutch and flywheel and decent coilovers. with that set up u could have a very reliable 300whp engine. idk if thatd be the best track set up but for drag thats the route id go

I know I really like the B18b a lot too. It's just the reason Im leaning on the B18C5 is that my friend is selling me one for $2500 and it has 1000 miles on it. Hard to beat when it comes to dishin out cash.

I have a D series already. 2 Words...Hate It. Single over head cam just seems like you would have to put so much into it just to have enough power to spoool up the turbo. It's not a bad idea bro, just not a good one for me.

How much does a tune from a reliable shop usually run?

10 psi is the same on all turbos, that's just the pressure it's putting out. How quickly the turbo reaches 10 psi is what makes them different. Also the psi = power so either way, we're all right. I think.

10 psi is the same on all turbos, that's just the pressure it's putting out. How quickly the turbo reaches 10 psi is what makes them different. Also the psi = power so either way, we're all right. I think.

Wrong. So wrong. Please stop giving advice about turbos.

lol.. alright, so pounds per square inch isn't a fixed measurement? How can one "10 psi" be different from another "10 psi"? It is a measure of pressure, you either have 10 psi of pressure or you don't. To me that makes perfect sense, and I work with 2x4's all day, not engines!
I'm not a turbo expert and I certainly don't claim to be. Why don't you enlighten me, as misguided as I am?

PSI contributes to CFM, does it not? Turbos increase the CFM, and a proper tune allows stoichiometry to be maintained. Thus, PSI are transformed into the elusive HP.
Edit- I appreciate that you want others to learn, but I have some basic knowledge about these concepts. I simply take a different approach as to how I perceive them. Do you agree?

Last edited:
Back