Best upgrades for the B16A

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Boomboxx

I wanted to make a post where we can establish the best ways to tune the B16A, with respect to the following:

1. The government's traffic test station shouldn't see (visually) that it's suped up (this excludes turboing, supercharging)
2. Somewhat reasonable HP for the $$$.
3. Same durability as original

Swaps are also a suggestion, but the engine's got to look similar to the B16A, or possible to make look the same (change the covers or something).

So, if you have a good example of ways to do this, please make a post! :)

/Boomboxx

ECU-"tweaking"?

If chip tuning without turbo will do any good? I don't really know...
It's fairly cheap, and you actually get very cheap pre-tuned chipped ECU's for the B16A (N/A) from Skunk2 (to name one).

This one supposedly increases torque and hp overall, and moves the VTEC-point. I've heard this can kill your engine, but maybe someone here can explain more...

just put a whole bunch of nitrous on it. nobody will notice...

if you want it stock looking put some ctr pistons in it and some upgraded cams. obviously I/H/E also

Long ram intake, headers, exhaust.... if your car cant breath, it wont go. For about $500 or so buck (assuming you got a cool mechanic) your looking at 40 hp, and a much nice bump from all other aftermarket mods as well.

Long ram intake, headers, exhaust.... if your car cant breath, it wont go. For about $500 or so buck (assuming you got a cool mechanic) your looking at 40 hp, and a much nice bump from all other aftermarket mods as well.

right, 40 hp from i/h/e. good luck. don't post stupid shit like that anymore. you might see 10-15 from those 3. and it will cost far more than $500 if you want decent stuff. maybe $500 for the exhaust alone. oh yeah, and hondas only have 1 headers.

Air intake allways makes a difference i had a short arm intake which was a waste of time, as it was drawing in hot air from the engine i then tried a Aem V2, and finally a ctr air box with a Apexi power intake panel filter which i seem to hav got with the most gains with, coupled with a full exhaust system! there is a lot to be said for an instant 75-100 bhp with the laughing gas

right, 40 hp from i/h/e. good luck. don't post stupid shit like that anymore. you might see 10-15 from those 3. and it will cost far more than $500 if you want decent stuff. maybe $500 for the exhaust alone. oh yeah, and hondas only have 1 headers.

aww, looks like someone is jealous cause they cant tune, fabricate, and install thier own stuff. You screw around with settings, hi-flows, custome piping and what not you cant get alot more power then apexi can give you, so until youve done it all, leave me alone.

aww, looks like someone is jealous cause they cant tune, fabricate, and install thier own stuff. You screw around with settings, hi-flows, custome piping and what not you cant get alot more power then apexi can give you, so until youve done it all, leave me alone.
He's just being honest man.
If tuned (stock) b16's could gain 40hp, people wouldn't build or boost motors.
So to the guy looking for information, I wouldn't expect more than 10hp from those three things (IHE)
Try some GSR cams for a few extra high rpm horsies.

He's just being honest man.
If tuned (stock) b16's could gain 40hp, people wouldn't build or boost motors.
So to the guy looking for information, I wouldn't expect more than 10hp from those three things (IHE)
Try some GSR cams for a few extra high rpm horsies.

yeah, but admit, he could have gone about saying it in a more polite, less of an asshole manor, anywho, My system on my d was a long ram (pulling air from the bottom, front of the car), basic headers (and I call them headers cause I was raised by a hotroder, so leave me alone about it), and a custom exhaust system. All I bought was a test pipe, a rez (which ended up just being piping to look as if I had a muffler) and a bunch of piping (which we managed to get to to rout to be almost completely straight). 3" make all the diffrence in the world. Throw that all together with a nice, racing only filter, and some tight tuning stuff (and all the little things you can do to help an engine out, i.e. spark plugs, wires, head matching, and some ECU work) you can push out a respecable amount of power. Its just a matter of knowing what you are doing. The swap thing is what is blowing my mind right now. To be realistic, I probly got 25hp, out of all of it. I say 40hp cause I went from getting romped by a buddies n/a rx7 to keeping up with him no problem, which I estemated would require 40hp. I suppose I should have also accounted for the torque increase.

But back to my main point, Cold air intake, headers, and an exhaust system are the foundation to all the other mods you will do, trust me.

But back to my main point, Cold air intake, headers, and an exhaust system are the foundation to all the other mods you will do, trust me.

I made 200whp all motor, and I only used one header...

I guess it was all in the tooning.

:huh:

while i/h/e makes the car a little more fun to drive you will not gain much from them. the power gains to cost ratio is just terrible IMO especially if they are bought new. if you're looking to buy stuff like that I suggest you search local forums for used parts. that way there's no shipping costs and you can usually get good deals.

alright man, you win. you are soooo right. so your first post said you can get i/h/e and 40 hp for less than $500. well, how much is your tuning electronics going to cost you. and sorry, not everybody is a master tuner such as yourself. some people will have to pay for it. oh yeah, dyno time isn't free.

i have probably had more/better cars than you could imagine. so don't even start the internet bickering bullshit. so take your ass back to the trailer park, your mom is calling you. leave your noob posts at the door ass hat.

i know im probably going to get screamed at for this but im going to do it anyway, ebay.com i got a good header from there for about $60, i bought a dc sports muffler off of it for about $40, and i had a local exhaust guy run the piping for about $40, and then i bought my AEM V2 off of a friend for $5 (who says it doesnt pay to have broke friends LOL). if you know what to look for on ebay you can get some badass deals, but you have to remember that you normally get what you pay for and if it seems to good to be true then it probably is, i.e.- if somebody is selling a "JDM carbon fiber cold air intake" for $0.99, $19.01 shipping and handleing, don't take the bait, you are going to get a plastic tube with checkers drawn on it and a filter and somewhere on the bottom it will say "made in taiwan"

I will be honest the power is in the head that is why the k-series is so good, that and displacement. In order to get good/great responses from i/h/e you need the head to flow especially when it comes to all motor. And dc sports by the way is not a great header but better than stock. All motor is expensive if you do it right the first time. You can get i/h/e for $500 bucks but how good would the quality be and how much power would you gain are the questions?

D'oh, bought a SHORT ram intake just before I read this, b/c I don't want water in my engine...

Maybe I'll rebuild it to a long ram with some silicone tubes and piping, and put some heat shielding tape 'round it to keep the air cool on its way into the intake...

Edit: It's starting to get cold in the nights here now, I can really feel my car running better when it's cold. Intake with cold air it is, then! :D

I just ordered a new exhaust system with free flow cat.

Hoping this will help a bit :)

Thanks for all the answers!

(I really don't buy the 40hp gain from air filter with ram intake and new axhaust, though) :p

short rams have their advantages too. Correct me if i have them reversed but i think Short rams are better for low end torque, and CAIs are better for high end power. if your worried about water getting in your engine with a CAI buy a water bypass valve. dosent hurt performace, just $20 of insurance and peace of mind.

short rams have their advantages too. Correct me if i have them reversed but i think Short rams are better for low end torque, and CAIs are better for high end power. if your worried about water getting in your engine with a CAI buy a water bypass valve. dosent hurt performace, just $20 of insurance and peace of mind.

Other way around.

The best solution is a short ram with a cold air feed.

Back