cable vursus hydo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

It's just how the transmission activates the clutch... I personally like hydraulic transmissions better, but just get the one that matches your car's layout and you'll be good to go.

It's in as much debate as which motor oil to use. I like hydro trannies, my old roomie lsvtec likes cable. I think it depends on what you've driven most and are most used to.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Dec 20 2002, 09:45 AM
...I think it depends on what you've driven most and are most used to.

exactly right, i've always used a cable tranny and when i drive my friends del sol with a hydro tranny, i always tell him i like mine better. but it all comes down to personal preference.

I like the cable better because you don't get the feedback through the hydro system that you do through the cable. IMO slipping a clutch is easier on a cable than a hydro. But get the one that matches your car, don't convert the chassis.

I actually like my hydraulic more than my girlfriend's cable tranny... but like we've said before- it's all personal preference.

See, I disagree. You can't feel when the clutch engages with a hydro like you can with cable. Plus I don't have to fill a 2nd master cylinder or replace it when it goes bad. Clutch cables are cheap. :)

Originally posted by lsvtec@Dec 20 2002, 04:29 PM
See, I disagree. You can't feel when the clutch engages with a hydro like you can with cable. Plus I don't have to fill a 2nd master cylinder or replace it when it goes bad. Clutch cables are cheap. :)

Very true on the maintenance and cost side of things... but I feel the engagement quite well with my hydro setup, and Katie's cable clutch is just really hard to control compared to mine.

Who makes the clutch? Stage doesn't mean crap on its own... it's just how a particular manufacturer will decide to label their product. A stage 3 clutch will typically be more aggressive than a stage 2 of the same brand though, so get your info about it first, then decide.

Back