Can Anyone Help Me With My Ecu Problem!?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

LittleG112

I own a '94 civic coupe EX. I have a '01 GSR motor. When i put the motor in, there was some wires that i needed to tap to the ecu. I never had the time to do it. I was running on my P28 (civic ex) ecu and now upgraded it to a P72 (stock). It felt stronger... but when i punched it... the needle bounced back and 7,000 RPM. I was furious and demanded a refund. My friend came over and put the ECU into his civic.. (identical.. and with a stock single cam) and he revved up to 8,000 RPM. I was real confused. How come i can't rev up to 8,000 like i should? My friend said something is wrong with my wires because it's not the ecu. I thought for sure that he switched the chip inside the P72 to a P28 but he revved it in front of me all the way to 8,000. Could you help clarify why isnt my car revving up to 8,000. He also said that since my secondary butterfly and knock sensor isnt hooked up... that may cause it to red line early. Another thing that puzzles me is that when i put in my friends P72 ECU that is chipped... it revs up to 8,000 but there is a check engine light after you go past 50 MPH. But with the ECU that i bought, there is no check engine what so ever. I thought since my secondary butterfly and knock sensor isnt hooked up.. shouldnt there be a check engine light? (secondary butterfly and knock sensor are hooked up to the engine harness... just not tapped into the ECU). I was deeply appreciate if you could shine any light to my question. This puzzled me and my friends... thank you for your time. If you can provide more info.. could you please email me at LittleG112@hotmail.com. Thanks!

Originally posted by LittleG112@Mar 3 2003, 03:52 PM
I own a '94 civic coupe EX. I have a '01 GSR motor. When i put the motor in, there was some wires that i needed to tap to the ecu. I never had the time to do it.

You had an OBD1 car, and you dropped an OBD2 engine (and ECU, I assume) in there. Whose wiring harness adapter did you use? What did you never have the time to do, and why couldn't you do it now to try to fix the problem?

Originally posted by LittleG112@Mar 3 2003, 05:52 PM
I own a '94 civic coupe EX. I have a '01 GSR motor. When i put the motor in, there was some wires that i needed to tap to the ecu. I never had the time to do it. I was running on my P28 (civic ex) ecu and now upgraded it to a P72 (stock). It felt stronger... but when i punched it... the needle bounced back and 7,000 RPM. I was furious and demanded a refund. My friend came over and put the ECU into his civic.. (identical.. and with a stock single cam) and he revved up to 8,000 RPM. I was real confused. How come i can't rev up to 8,000 like i should? My friend said something is wrong with my wires because it's not the ecu. I thought for sure that he switched the chip inside the P72 to a P28 but he revved it in front of me all the way to 8,000. Could you help clarify why isnt my car revving up to 8,000. He also said that since my secondary butterfly and knock sensor isnt hooked up... that may cause it to red line early. Another thing that puzzles me is that when i put in my friends P72 ECU that is chipped... it revs up to 8,000 but there is a check engine light after you go past 50 MPH. But with the ECU that i bought, there is no check engine what so ever. I thought since my secondary butterfly and knock sensor isnt hooked up.. shouldnt there be a check engine light? (secondary butterfly and knock sensor are hooked up to the engine harness... just not tapped into the ECU). I was deeply appreciate if you could shine any light to my question. This puzzled me and my friends... thank you for your time. If you can provide more info.. could you please email me at LittleG112@hotmail.com. Thanks!

First off, you need to switch 2 wires, and add 2 wires to your EX, this is most likely the problem with your engine not running right.

Also, you said you're using a P28? or was it a P72?

If you are using a P72 ecu, is it stock? Also, is it a OBD1 version? 94-95 model year?

if your running 01 GSR, you need a P72 OBD2, be sure it's a OBD2.
Stick in A17 of the EX harness to A26 pin of P72. (IAB) And D3 to D6. (knock) be sure that the wire is hooked up from IAB and Knock to ECU.

Back