Can I put a D series tranny on a B block?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Questions are often asked about mixing and matching Engine and Transmission combinations.

• Can I put a D-series Transmission on a B-series Engine?
  • Can I put an F-series Transmission on an H-series engine?
  • Can I put a B-series Transmission on an H-series engine?

Just for reference, all USDM 4G (88-91) and USDM 5G (92-95) Civics came with D series drivetrains. All USDM 6G (96-00) Civics except the Si came with D series drivetrains as well. The 99-00 USDM Si has a B16A2 in it bolted up to a B series transmission, so most any B series engine will drop in and bolt up.

This information is not correct anymore (originally posted in 2003): D series and B series parts are mostly NOT interchangeable. You can NOT mount a B series transmission on a D series engine, and you can NOT mount a D series transmission on a B series engine. They won't bolt up.

----- updated 4/6/2010 -----

With the advent of new adapter kits on the market, it is now possible to mount a D series transmission onto a B series engine as well as an H/F series engine, and also a B series transmission onto an H/F engine. Search online and on this site for "B2D", "H2D", and "H2B" as the common terms for transmission adapter kits.

In general, you can adapt just about any transmission onto an engine that rotates in the same direction give the right measurements and clutch or torque converter setup. Someone may tell you that a combo is impossible, but it really just means that the setup isn't easy or hasn't been done as a kit you can buy yet. Just look to the numerous Chevy small block and Volkswagen setups out in the modding community.

Older Honda engines- D, B, H and F blocks (front wheel drive) all rotate in reverse- at least in the wrong direction to bolt up to what is considered the standard direction in most automotive engines on the market. Looking from the flywheel side (exterior view) of the engine, these Honda blocks rotate clockwise. Most engines rotate counterclockwise when viewed from the flywheel side. K-series and the s2000's F20/F22C rotate in 'normal' fashion which means even if an adapter were to exist, you would have 5 or 6 gears of reverse on a B2K set up, which probably isn't what you're looking for.

Last edited:
Back