Car for Girlfriend

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Chevy cruze is a waste of money. Look up the engine specs, and you'll notice that it may be similar to what the civic has. I look at one the other day and all it is, is a small malibu.

yeah, but it's brand new with a warranty for 50 or 100k i forget... and fits the g/f role perfectly. It won't cost a DIME over payments + gas + oil changes. that's it. it doesn't get more more reliable than that (well, at least on the cost factor). "shits broken, bring it to the dealer, pimp a loaner for the day"

Could she get financing from a credit union?

I got my becu loan before I shopped for a car and then commenced shopping. That way I could do private or dealership. Also I didn't have to fill out any paperwork at the dealer since I filled it out before, and it took 20 minutes to sign paper work and order my car.

This.

Pentagon Federal Credit Union. If you have prime credit, a used car loan is 2.99%. I did better going through the credit union for the BMW than I did just two years before when I bought the Audi through Audi Financial @ 3.9%.

The term is 48 or 60months and its still 2.99%... Its so cheap that I was going to pay 100% in cash but I'm using the loan to provide liquidity, should I find a deal on a house that I can't pass up in the next twelve months.

https://www.penfed.org/promo/2009Of...al-308-CRGB1&gclid=CL2wpfXlgqcCFYnc4AodDAyHdw

On a note about the car... DON'T. You can do much better for the price. Hondas are holding their value a little too well.

If she drives less than 13-15k per year, leasing would be a good option for a low payment.

I'd look in to a Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan. For my girlfriend, we picked up an '07, Premier (leather, v6, heated mirrors, etc. etc) with 25,000 miles for $13,600 about 3 months ago. If we went with more miles and the inline 4, we could have easily been under $10k.

well, im just going to pop this out there.

when i saw the title of this thread.
i really did expect it to be about trading your girlfriend for a car, or vise verse.

and on subject, i wouldnt buy it.
i never liked that generation. i thought about one that we had at the dealer i used to work at for my gf, for what it was, it was over priced. as is that one.

keep in mind, that this will be the car she is driving for the next 3 to 4+ years.

Linh never drove a stick before the day she bought her Civic SI. We had 3 days before she had no option but to drive her car on the 100 mile round trip to work dealing with DC beltway traffic.

She had no problem. Took about 1 week before she forgot about it.

To this day she says she never wants to go back to another auto tranny car if she can help it and she drives to NVA everyday. NVA traffic is like in the top 5 for worst traffic in North America.

Get this, if you leave the car in first and never ride the bumper of the car in front of you.... ready for it...... You never have to push in the clutch!

To many people ride asses and like the nonstop stop/go/stop/go There's no need for it unless traffic is fully blocked. Just give yourself enough room to always coast slightly.

Get this, if you leave the car in first and never ride the bumper of the car in front of you.... ready for it...... You never have to push in the clutch!

To many people ride asses and like the nonstop stop/go/stop/go There's no need for it unless traffic is fully blocked. Just give yourself enough room to always coast slightly.

That's what I do, but 2nd, because it speeds up to 20 and slows down fast and my gears are short and torquey.

My commute is like 5 miles, but 45-1hr depending so I have gotten very successful at never putting in the clutch for long long periods of time.

I think you're right, 2nd gear makes more sense.

Bottom line.... I can't remember if its 1st or 2nd because its so natural that you dont have to think about it.

I hate driving an auto in traffic because I always have to hold down the damn brake since the car wont stop moving forward.

Damn autos.

same. i'd much rather be in a stick than an auto in traffic. i don't get why people say its better.

a quick stint to neurtral and a hand brake grab is way easier than finding park, making your reverse lights go on on the highway, etc etc, and the ever forward lurch of the autotragic. ugh

i'm glad others agree with me though. 9k gets you a lot of car... a lot more than a 8 year old civic.

I drove 50k a year around New England for 3 years. Stuck in traffic all day sometimes several times a day. I was glad I had an auto. If you are sitting for a bit just put it in neutral. Maybe it was because I had an overloaded cargo van that didn't move much when letting the brake up that made it tolerable.

hey chaz, i commuted i-5 for 2 years. i had a 95 civic ex when i did it. i was more than happy to have a manual. i did that shit for a year. much better than have an auto.

plus, your girl just straight up needs to know how to drive a manual. i honestly think everybody with a drivers license should know how to drive one.

I must be getting old cause I enjoy having an automatic for my daily commute.
I guess driving 45 minutes each way gets a little old after 12 years.

Only time I prefer a manual is when I'm looking for some fun. And too much fun on your daily commute gets you into too much trouble.

I must be getting old cause I enjoy having an automatic for my daily commute.
I guess driving 45 minutes each way gets a little old after 12 years.

Only time I prefer a manual is when I'm looking for some fun. And too much fun on your daily commute gets you into too much trouble.
depends on the car and the engine/clutch. on a stock honda, the commute is fine. anything modified gets annoying. it's like doing one legged squats all day.

well, i've still got both stick and auto
perhaps its just a lazy thing

in other news, every time i read the title i think something is for trade
i'll trade you an 03 4 door taurus with 105k on the clock for the gf
and its auto

Last edited:
Back