Car Just Dies?!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TRuggiero_

Alright, It's a B16 CRX, but she just dies I'm driving it, no set time or distance, just dies. It is a ign. problem, because there is no spark, but if I let it sit for a while it will start right up. It can idle for an hour or so but if I drive it for a mile or so it cuts out. I checked plugs/wires, fuel pressure is good, injector pulse is good and getting a good signal from the tdc sensor, crank sensor, and the cyl. sensor? What's goin on?

does your idel or tach bounce it may be the alt not charging properly and killing the battery after an hour there is enough of a charge to start up agian ?

Main Relays work or they don't. I would check for oil in the distributor, or a faulty ignition switch. If the contacts short it will just jump to the off position.

Originally posted by cws13@Mar 3 2003, 07:59 PM
Main Relays work or they don't. I would check for oil in the distributor, or a faulty ignition switch. If the contacts short it will just jump to the off position.

BS Main relays don't just go out. They are affected by temperature and moisture. 4g Civics and CRX's are notorious for having bad Main relays.

See this site to check/fix it

http://www.crxsi.com/resources/repair/fixi...ing_main_relay/

OK I got it. Bad coil, the coil was cracked and it was sending the spark the positive and negitive terminals and melted the plastic around them. so as for now that is where I am going, new coil, hopefully everthing is good then. Thanks guys.

BS Main relays don't just go out. They are affected by temperature and moisture. 4g Civics and CRX's are notorious for having bad Main relays.

[/quote]
I thought it would be ignition, glad you figured it out.
and to SolBlu:
Yes they do go out, Accords have the most problem with this (early models).
Sure, heat trips them but they don't just fail intermittently while driving. Generally, your car will start or it won't. At the dealership, 9 of 10 Main Relay problemed cars are driven in. :rolleyes:

Back