car wont start!!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wickedplastikman

ok. my car was running before i swapped the heads. it has a 96 gsr block. i had a gsr head and put in a b16 head. i am using the stock t/b and a edelbrock mani.

i checked the timing. i checked for spark. i checked for fuel. i checked for ground and power. all it does is turn over. i pulled the plugs again and there was fuel on them, so i know its getting gas. the plugs are new by the way. any one have any ideas?

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Jan 17 2005, 06:07 PM
do a compression test.

Are you sure you tighten everything down correctly?
[post=447145]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, check over all the timming marks, maybe you leakin out.

Also check to make sure your Wires are on the right plugs.(remember rotor is Counter-Clockwise)

autozone, checker, etc. any auto parts store will do. When you say turn over, do you mean that it cranks but doesn't start or it starts and dies, be more specific. also, have checked the ecu for any codes.

i didnt re-pull the head to check the valves. but they were brand new when i put them on. i never heard any piston slapping.

and it wont start at all. it just keeps turning over

How about the distributor cap? Are you getting power to the spark plugs? I would try taking it to pep boys. They let me do a compression test there for free. They felt sorry for me since I pushed my car there a mile and a half with three buddies :) In my case it was not the compression. We later found that two wires were melted together somehow, and they were causing a short in the ignition. Anyway good luck.

Originally posted by wickedplastikman@Jan 21 2005, 02:19 AM
i didnt re-pull the head to check the valves. but they were brand new when i put them on. i never heard any piston slapping.

and it wont start at all. it just keeps turning over
[post=449031]Quoted post[/post]​

have you tried adding gas to the tb to see if it fires?
if ti sputters than it is a fuel prob, if it dosn't then its a spark issue

It could be a ignition problem, electical problem, or fuel problem or something else. To narrow it down, do the following; For ignition, test the distributor by putting a screw driver in one of your spark plug wires, turning the engine over and touch the metal part of the screwdirver to any metal part of your car, if there is no spark then you might check the distributor.

For electrical, check your fuses especially ones that are related to your fuel pump, distributor, ecu, etc. If any is blown, replace it first and if it blows again then check for a short somewhere.

For fuel, check the pump by unscrewing the hose at the pump that leads toward the engine not the return line. then turn your car on but dont crank it, the pump should shoot out some fuel if it doesn't it might be your pump or an electrical connection.

But before you do all these, check to see that your ecu is working properly by reading the ecu for any cels. If the check engine light does not blink at all then your ecu might be the culprit.

Do everythig I sugested and tell us the results. They are all relatively easy to do by your self.

GOT IT RUNNING!!!!!

thanks for all the help guys. it ended up being that the valve clearance needed to be adjusted. thanks for all the responses!!

Back