Civic Hatch D16Z6 Upgrades

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ok, your car can take as much as it has right now.

Your question makes no sense. Want to know why? Your car can be built to make any amount of power, really.

SET A POWER GOAL, as Blanco previously stated. Shit, I don't even know what kind of "hatch" this is in, because you didn't list it. I'd assume you're going to need somewhere around 180-200 whp to jump into the 13's. And you'll need to be able to put it to the pavement.

Model: 94 Civic Si Soch D16Z6.
Mods: Aftermarket Headers, Exhaust, Intake; roughly 130 HP
goal : 190 HP; 1/4 mile 13.96
Upcoming Mods: Greddy Turbo kit system, steel head gasket, apr head studs, stage 2 Crower cams, Skunk Pro racing intake manifold, Spark plugs.
any other mods i could get? let me know.

should i change my pistons since i want to go turbo? I heard that soch compressions are low enough for turbo so thats why i was just going to leave my stock pistons. I really want 200 hp for my SOCH. But the only way i can think of getting that much is to get turbo because i know that the d series motors are not as strong. I dont wanna go B series. I wanna invest into my d16 so i want to put whatever else i can into it to make me hit 200 hp.

hmmm...i want to boost at least 10 pounds for turbo...but is it okay for stock internals? and what upgrades can i do to boost 10 pounds

hmmm...i want to boost at least 10 pounds for turbo...but is it okay for stock internals? and what upgrades can i do to boost 10 pounds

PSI means nothing, 10 pounds on a small turbo is very different than 10 pounds on a large turbo. You need to pick a power goal, use that to choose a pick a turbo that will get you into that range, then build. You dont need a new intake mani, the stock one will be fine, do rods pistons, and head studs. With all that and the properly sized turbo about 200whp will be reliable (if tuned correctly) and fairly quick.

I still can't believe people say "psi means nothing". It does mean something; it increases dynamic compression :p. But yea, 10psi on a small turbo will feel different than 10psi on a larger turbo because the small one will probably drop in efficiency in the higher revs(this concerns flow).

hmm i did some research and from what i found out it should be okay to boost 10 pounds on a stock internal..but i may need steel head gasket...injector..pump..and maybe a hondata s100 ecu chip...i really wanna reach 200whp...and im debating on getting a ebay turbo..but lots of ppl say its unreliable..but turbo is turbo right?..so yeah..help me out guys

Ebay turbo; will probably break or crack and lots of shaft play after a while. Good for if you plan on replacing your turbo every couple thousand miles. If you want to cheap out; best bet is to get one out of a used car and just rebuild it....pretty much go for a homemade turbo setup. Most of them come from reputable manufacturers anyway and will last much longer than most of the ebay turbos.

The stock +92 head gaskets are already steel(MLS to be exact). They'll handle 200whp just fine.

Don't worry about getting a chip(you don't really want a chip anyway except as a basemap to drive to the dyno). Get it dyno tuned and they'll provide a custom map for your car.

The OEM pumps can handle 200whp just fine. As for injectors, DSM ones work just fine(may need resistor box or injector driver though).

:withstupid:You can piece together your own kit for cheaper than the eBay ones if you know where to look, and it will be way higher quaility than its Ebay counterpart.

OP: I have a question for you. If PSI designates a power (since thats how you're using it), what is the difference between a small and large turbocharger? 10 PSI is 10 PSI, right?

well i might get a greddy turbo kit...so i need oem pump and dsm injectors and i should be fine boosting 10 psi right?...but i dont know if thats enough to get 200whp..i was thinking about
getting atleast a stage 1 clutch and cam gears and cam shafts..if i get all of this how close do you guys think i'll be at 200whp?

is boosting 10 pounds safe on stock internals with only injectors and pump?? I research and hear lots of different opinions...lets say i want to boost 12 pounds...what would i need for sure to boost 12 pounds?

OP: I have a question for you. If PSI designates a power (since thats how you're using it), what is the difference between a small and large turbocharger? 10 PSI is 10 PSI, right?

Then you'd also have to define what's a small turbo and what's a big turbo. :p

well what is the difference? If they're using the same PSI it wouldnt really matter if it were a small or a big turbo right?

i mean a small would feel different from a large turbo but woudnt they be using the same amount of power if they had the same psi

No, that's not the difference. The difference is where you get 10psi; flow. A turbocharger isn't a linear device. It has it's own characteristics independent of the engine.

IE. A "small" turbo would hit 10psi by 2000rpm, but after say around 5000rpm it starts losing it's efficiency and boost may even drop. On the other hand, a larger turbo probably won't hit full boost until 5000rpm but it'll carry it all the way to red line.

i mean a small would feel different from a large turbo but woudnt they be using the same amount of power if they had the same psi
insert common sense here.....

if you have a big leaf blower pushing 10 psi, and a small leaf blower pushing 10 psi....which one will blow more leaves?

turbos 101....psi is irrelevant. it's the size of the turbo. a big turbo pushing 10psi will make more power than a tiny turbo pushing 15 psi.

It's not really that simple. For instance, a given engine: a sized "small" turbo(compared to an oversized large turbo) that's running near maximum efficiency at 15psi would not only spool faster than a larger turbo at 10psi, but also make more peak torque and horsepower(higher static compression across the board).

To figure out what you'd need or is best, you have to do some calculations and plot some maps. It's the only way. And yes, PSI is relevant. You can't plot or map a turbo without knowing what pressure you want. There's two main things you need to plot your setup; the pressure you want and the flow needed at that pressure.

Back