Clearance Problem?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EF9

Just get my car back from garage, he didn't clay the engine, I'm afraid to get it in VTEC I'm so worry the valves will hit the pistons.

Has anyone has B16A with CTR piston, Jun III, 2 thous milled or 1 layers headgasket.!!!!!
Do you have any clearance problem?
How far can you adjust on the cam gear?

thanks for the input.

i've got a b16 with ctr pistons and the head is currently being milled .020"

my cams are +2,-2
and i dont expect any clearance issues, but we're going to clay it to be sure.

the jun 3's are a bit more aggressive, so be careful.

i personally would not have milled your head

for the days work and 50 bucks for a gasket clay the engine be safe be sure the head could have be milled before ?you cant be sure is it wothr the 1500 not claying it

ya, that is reason to worry... i dont think you'll find somone on here running an identical setup, you should have definatly clayed the motor... if i were you, i'd tear the head back off and do it, better to be safe than sorry.

Beause the car still break in, i've just lowered the VTEC point as low as 3800rpm!! And gamble will the valves hit the pistons?? Thanks god there is no problem.
Then I rev to 4500rpm, i hear the sound changed when pass 4000rpm does that really mean the cams has engage to VTEC or something else.

Originally posted by EF9@Feb 21 2003, 03:37 PM
Beause the car still break in, i've just lowered the VTEC point as low as 3800rpm!! And gamble will the valves hit the pistons?? Thanks god there is no problem.
Then I rev to 4500rpm, i hear the sound changed when pass 4000rpm does that really mean the cams has engage to VTEC or something else.

i'm not following you

i think that he was trying to say that he was still breaking in his engine so he hasen't hit vtec yet. but he wanted to test it, so he droped the vtec switchover point and just took a gamble with the clearances. and there have been no problems. as for his question... i'm not soo sure. i think he said that when he passes 4k, the sound of the engine changes, and he's wondering if it is not really engaging vtec until that point.

if the sound changes it could be because vtec is set in to low to work correctly w/ those cams that could be the sound you hear from vtec

i agree vtec should not be engaged any lower than 5000 rpms on a b series, most tuners set it more towards 6000. it hits alot harder then also i heard it is not healthy for your valvetrain to dog it in vtec like that. correct me if im wrong

its not an issue with the valve train, it could take it at low rpm with no problem, but the motor will lose power.

The engine has done 600miles after rebuilt I set the VTEC at 5300 rpm and rev it to 7K rpm last night, I dont't feel its going any faster than it used to be with ITR cams.
Do I need bigger injector or JUN III doesn't make power until 7K rpm??

ya, i dont think you see much of a power increase on the jun's until 7k+ do a google search to see dyno charts of people running jun3's

Back