clutch for boost

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

redef91

i want to buy a cluthchmasters fx400 clutch which is a stage 4 clutch....now my ? is would this clutch be to strong for my 91 ls motor in my 91 crx si...im going to boost it wit a t3 turbo and run at least 9psi..i want this to be everyday driver...should i get the stage 3 or go wit the stage 4???? let me kno guys...

I would just get the stage 2 from clutchcityonline.com. you won't want a strong clutch for a daily.

your clutch doenst know your boosting, its going to go "hey this guy is boosting lets fall apart."

All you need to look at is a clutch that will hold the power you plan to make.

Look at torque ratings, not power ratings- clutches are all rated by torque anyway.

Chances are that you'll be fine with an ACT XT/SS clutch. You'll still get the full face friction surface (no pucks) so you get smooth engagement, but the pressure plate is plenty strong to hold a TON of torque. Whatever you do, make sure you get a sprung hub on the clutch disc for a daily driver.

Quoted post[/post]]
Look at torque ratings, not power ratings- clutches are all rated by torque anyway.

Chances are that you'll be fine with an ACT XT/SS clutch. You'll still get the full face friction surface (no pucks) so you get smooth engagement, but the pressure plate is plenty strong to hold a TON of torque. Whatever you do, make sure you get a sprung hub on the clutch disc for a daily driver.

this is some interesting info, im in the market for a clutch, (today was first day with boost) what kind of issues do you usually get with a cluthc hub that isnt a sping type? alot of chatter? rough engagement?

whats the major advantage with the puck style? and whats its flaw as a Daily driver??

I picked up a 6 puck sprung stage 3 for my setup, there is quite a bit of chatter. I thought the pedal would get super super stiff too but it's not all that bad. the engagement was rough but I got used to it. I dont think its that bad for daily driving but I haven't been caught in traffic with it.

lol my clutch boosted started slipping on the first pull.

Quoted post[/post]]
this is some interesting info, im in the market for a clutch, (today was first day with boost) what kind of issues do you usually get with a cluthc hub that isnt a sping type? alot of chatter? rough engagement?

whats the major advantage with the puck style? and whats its flaw as a Daily driver??

Not having a spring in the disc hub takes away the only "give" that you have in a manual transmission. Any quick engagement or mistake in shifting will have to be soaked up by the hard parts of your driveline- gears, driveshafts, crankshaft etc. In an automatic car, you have the "slushbox" setup to help pad out any driveline shock in the torque converter, but in a manual car- the spring in the clutch hub is all that's available to do that. Remove it and I hope that you're a perfect shifter.

You CAN run a spring-less on the street- and many people do- but the slight increase in response really isn't worth the potential damage, especially in a daily driven car.

Puck clutches are more "grabby" than full disc clutches, so they are usually preferred for serious race applications. They're touchier, but since you get more pressure per inch on the pucks, you tend to get better holding power, plus you have less rotating mass (not that much difference, but it's still there). There are tons of reasons why you would want a puck clutch, and tons why you wouldn't. The reality is that puck discs are harder to find with sprung hubs, plus they tend to eat up flywheels and pressure plates quicker than full face discs. They're not as easy to drive, and for most streetable high power setups that you would find in a Honda, a full disc clutch is more than sufficient.

thanx for the info, well i recieved my clutch, i went with an EXEDY stage 2 street clutch as oppse to the stage two race. didnt know what it was gonna look like but i recieved it and tis a 3 puck with full spring hub. im running a 8.7lb flywheel with it, i expect some harsher driving but its all trial and error i geuss, we'll see how it handles, im gonna toss it in this week. thanx for the small write up though mike! :)

Back