Clutch?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16

Super Moderator
VIP
yesterday i installed an ITR flywheel, ITR pressure plate, ITR exedy clutch disc, new throw out bearing and pilot bearing. everything went ok installing. but, engaging the clutch is a pain. I went through all the topics on the site, but nothing seems to be really working for me. the pedal seems to feel ok, and i know it is moving the fork (i'm not sure how far it is supposed to move though). with the clutch fully depressed to the floor, it is difficult to get into gear (like it is not pushing on the PP enough). once i move my foot less than an inch it grabs and goes. is this normal? it is very difficult to drive. a friend of mine said to drive around on it for a week and it should get better. i guess he's thinking the clutch disc is so meaty that the PP is not releasing completely off it, and after a week of driving the clutch disc will be worn down some to make it easier on the pressure plate. has anyone run into a similar problem? if the issue doesn't go away in a week i'll be forced to pull the tranny off again. i guess the only other thing is maybe the throwout bearing got mis-aligned when putting the tranny back on? but i would think it would make a lot of noise if it was not mated to the clutch for properly. by the way this is a 99 si motor (b16a2) with stock si tranny. thanks in advance.
-mike

thought i'd add this, not sure if it applies or not, but just started happening also.
i've noticed when driving it, when i press on the clutch pedal sometimes i can feel like a rubbing, when depressing the pedal. like, how it feels when you're trying to slide wet rubber together (best i can describe it). but, it rubbs like that... kinda strange..

the clutch pedal it slef has an adjustment on it- i think its a 10 or 12mm bolt... get on your back and look up at where your pedals bolt to the firewall, you will see an adjustment screw.

if its too tight, it won't pop in gear easy,
if its too loose, the clutch will neer fulyl enguage.

after we did my tranny and bled the system, the pedal was wack. so we adjusted it at the pedal itself to fine tune it.

I just did the clutch in my '90 accord on saturday. Here's a couple things to ponder:

1. Make sure every bit of air is out of the lines.
It took me about 20 mins of pumping and bleeding and filling (and then another 20mins working on the car! :lol: ... J/K!! Man, that sounded pretty sick). Anyway, when it was completely bled, the slave cyl plunger&fork travel was about 2" when engaging the clutch.

2. The clutch fork has little tabs on the end that loosely secure it to the clutch release(throwout) bearing. Make sure that those tabs were in place. Just pull off the rubber boot around the clutch fork and use an inspection mirror and flashlight to check inside the bellhousing. While you're at it, make sure the clip is in place that secures the fork to it's pivot ball. It's nearly impossible for the bearing to be out of line since it slides snugly on the input shaft.

3. Both of these would help to avoid removing the tranny again.

Good luck.

thanks for the replies guys.

yes i did mad bleeding, and i belive i have all the air out, but i guess i could do more :p

i did do some adjusting to the clutch pedal also, hoping that would do it, but that does not seem to help much, there isn't much "play" in the pedal.

the slave does seem to move about 2" so it looks like it is operating ok. I had thought about the throw out also, if it did become un-aligned wouldn't it make all sorts of racket in there? i'll take off the boot tonight and check in there to see if anything looks out of place. i really dont want to pull the tranny again, it was not that much fun :)

just went out and checked the fork, the throw out bearing is in place correctly, also, the fork is clipped into the pivot.... i had my sister step on the clutch and the bearing does not seem to travel very far, its like the slave does not push out far enough, wtf is going on :(

Damn, sorry to here that you didn't find anything out. Anyway, here's just a couple more things from a Master of the Obvious (Don't laugh, I wouldn't mention them if they hadn't been done years ago by a ....um....rookie.... before I...er, I mean "he" accumulated a little more wrench time.):

1. Friction plate inserted correctly and facing the right way between flywheel and pressure plate. I know, it's stamped "TM side" right on the metal, so this is not a likely cause unless you were really drunk.

2. throwout bearing FACING the right direction(i.e., rotating flat inner assembly facing the release fingers of the pressure plate.

3. Adjust pushrod length on clutch pedal(lengthen) to displace more fluid

4. All else fails, bleed some more, keeping it topped off. Maybe there's still air in the line and plunger travel will increase.

If all this still doesn't help, I'd make sure it's the right clutch parts for your application, and if it is, start looking at the master and slave cyl as culprits.

Good luck. My original stock clutch lasted 237,000 miles and I pray to God I never have to replace one again.

ITS FIXED!!!
ok, here is the story. this morning i noticed it was somewhat easy to get into gear, but when it warmed up, it got much more difficult. i figured i should check my tranny fluid. did that, and i was low, not sure where it went, but when i filled it initially, i filled it till it was coming out of the fill hole (as per helms instructions). so i check it, and it was low. i decide to head to the honda dealer, cursing becaus the car is a bitch to drive. i'm pulling into the dealer driveway with the pedal depressed, and i hear this POP, and the pedal was stuck to the floor. i though, oh fuck, now i'm really screwed, so i pull it back up with my foot. i push on it again, and its totally different, it works PERFECT. crazy, so i get a quart of tranny fluid, it takes about 1/2 the quart and the tranny is full again. i drive away and now the car drives great! I think it could have been a couple things, either the pivot was in fact not in the correct place or the slave cylinder was "stuck" and finally went. i'm not exactly sure, but i'm just happy it works. but, i want to thank you nuc79 for taking your time to help me out, the last thing i wanted to do was drop the tranny again.

Back