college stuff

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by SixtySecondAssassin@Oct 25 2002, 12:26 PM
dallas is like 4-5 hours away form houston. and thats if youre bookin' ass. dallas sucks anyway.

Nah- only 2 hours and 15 minutes. :D :D :D :D :D

I went to Marist (http://www.marist.edu/it/) for 3 years for IT. if you can understand cambodian, its a great schhol. otherwise, yeah- you can't uderstand a god damned word those guys are saying. smart as shit- but completly street-stupid and can't speak english worth shit :)

I dropped out at the end of my junior year

I have one class left at a local tech school, Branford hall career Institute (http://www.branfordhall.com)

Fuck it- I have no degree- and I got a job where i make more than 75% of average households.

Having schooling is a foot in the door- thats it. No matter what you did in school, what you learned, what you a trained to do- each and every company is going to do shit their own way, and expect YOU to adapt to THEM. (unless you are Bob or Bob :) )

Anywho-
The automotive business is really fucked up. Ask bill, he knows first hand being a tech for honda for 3 years now. the big problem is that you have a bunch of un educated retards as management. "y0- I ain't got no more brake cleaner- throw a can this way" vs. "Hey, I'm all out of brake cleaner, could you grab me a can when you have a chance?"
It may seem like no issue- but it extends in to a lot of other things. Un educated people are retarded and just don't have the smarts to run thigns good.

That said, if you know your shit, and are FAST at it, theres tons of money to be made.

If you are slow, you will make no money and get fired.
That said, if business is slow, you make no money either.

Me personally, I like knowing that every 2 weeks on friday, i will have the exact same pay check coming in. I know how mch i have to budget/buy stuff with, vs, damn is it going to be slow this week- i wonder if i can afford this thing now.

Also, whatever you do- know what you want to do before hand. I went to Marist as a history/pre law major. look at me now.... I'm the biggest fucking computer nerd on this board :) All in all, i wasted a year of taking classes on shit that has nothing to do with my major, nor count for it- so i got set back a year. yeha, so i was a junior hen i dropped out- but i really had 2 + years to go, and frankly i was spent. I don't give a shit abotu java. I don't give a shit about making my own O/S (which was my final project for a class called concepts of architecture and design - yeah, it never booted. :) ) THEN there was the gay courses- like religion/philosophy shit tha ti don't give 2 shits about, sociology, and that crap- that is REQUIRED to graduate, but i dont care about- so i never went and fucked up my grades blah blah.

I guess what I'm getting at is:
A- know what you want to do before you go to school, even if it means taking a year off. I wasted $26,000 on a year of bullshit that put no credits towards my graduation as an IT majory with graphics/multimedia concentration.
B- know the course/ciriculum. There will always be a few classes that no one likes- just get through them. But if 50% of your classes are bunk bogus shite like Marist was to me, I would say look elsewhere.

But, when all is said and done- if I had never gone to marist, i woudl have never gotten into IT (doing papers and shit for law classes had me on the ciomputer all the time.. and i started learnign tricks and shit, and it pushed me in the IT direction), and I also never woudl have gotten into web design, which would make hondaswap never have being existant, and you asking this question to us an idea of the mind. :)
Everythign happens for a reason? maybe - how the fuck should I know

I guess thats my take on things. Keep your eyes open and REALLY REALLY REALLY look at the school- not only based on campus shit, but also what you NEED to graduate and are REQUIRED to take.

I went to Marist cuz A, they accepted me, and B- i thought the campus was nice. I had no clue wtf i wanted to do... and franly, im suprised i made it 3 years there.
But, I made tons of great friends that i still talk to (in fact one is coming up next weekend for a visit) and to some people, its more important.

God damn this is long.

and no, thats not wht she said.

good luck

B, you should of just take courses at a local community college to finish up that degree.
hell you still can, it'll make a bit of diffrence in pay as well.

Actually, that was 'only' averaging 100 for the trip... I didn't ever go past 130 I don't think. I had to make a 2pm appointment. I left Houston at like 11:00 and arrived at 1:15. Granted, I live on the north side of Houston and only had to make it to the south side of Dallas.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Oct 25 2002, 02:34 PM
B, you should of just take courses at a local community college to finish up that degree.
hell you still can, it'll make a bit of diffrence in pay as well.

tunixs, middlesex, etc only offer associates for my field... and my tech school is eqiv to it.... id have to go to ccsu, etc- and frankly, i dont want to.
mypay isn't going anywhere at this job for a while i dont think- and frankly, im not comaplining making 40k

Holy shit B, you went to Marist? I'm from Pleasant Valley, right outside of Poughkeepsie. My dad went to Marist and then taught there for awhile. I used to go to Marist basketball games all the time, and had a bunch of swim meets and practices in their pool.

I am originally from New Paltz! Right across the river from PK!

yup- I went to Marist :)

hit up new paltz a few times....
good tittie bar over there! haha Bare Assets it was called :)

But yeah- I was there y0 98-01 representin' fo'

I NEVER WENT TO COLLEGEI WENT TO WORK FOR A HONDA SHOP AND BECAME A MACHANIC AND THEN I WANTED TO WORK ON PLANES SO I JOINED THE AIR FORCE AND I LIKE IT.ITS FUN

back to the original idea of this thread...

1) think long and hard about what you like to do now and what you think you'd like to do in the future.

2) i'd say going to college or a university, whichever is appropriate to what you want to do, is probably a good thing, even if you eventually drop out. you'll figure out a little more about yourself and what you want to do. hell, i'm in my 5th year of my BSc (thank god, only 3 classes left!) and changed the plan of "what i'm going to be when i grow up" many many times, but if i hadn't gone to school i'd probably be in a shitty ass job that i don't like with no hope of getting anywhere. at least with a degree any employer will see you've got the brains to get in and the perseverence to keep going through the whole damn thing, and that always looks good on a resume where ever you end up.

either way, good luck! :)

I go to california state university marijuana and beer, actualy it is california state university monterey bay. (Laguna Seca!) but yeah there was a bumper sticker made that has our school logo and instead of monterey bay it say Marijuana and Beer and it had our otter mascott with a join and a frosty....Find a school that has a dope location, preferably in a college town...and make sure the school offers what you want... good luck.

Back