Compression Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

22crazy

what up. Ive been searching the net and asking people but nobody has been able to answer my question. I wouldnt mind building a crazy NA motor but the problem i face is compression vs octane. I no if someone wants to build a NA motor u need high compression, but the problem is that the higher compression u go, the higher octane u need to go. My problem is that in my area the highest octane u can buy at a pump is 94...i can buy octane boosters, but i dont want to buy a booster everytime i go to the pump. Does anyone no whats the highest compression u can have inside your engine using 94 octane before the gas spontaneously explodes because of compression :eek: instead of spark. Thanx

I mean there is a article about detonation that will give you a good idea about the compession question you have in regards to octane levels.

where is the article? if it is the one in articles - detonation it only talks about psi...i need to no the compression of the pistons i need to buy so that it will work with the gas i can supply ( 94 octane )

i think calesta is running 12.5:1 on 93 octane, that is probably the highest i'd go on pump gas

ya 12.5:1 is pretty high too...and i no i can get 94 so i dunno i try messaging him and asking him...thanx for the post b16

Sorry never said it would give you the exact figures your looking for,just a good idea of the theory and from there the world is yours.

Originally posted by B16@Dec 25 2002, 01:49 PM
i think calesta is running 12.5:1 on 93 octane, that is probably the highest i'd go on pump gas

12.6:1 on 93 :lol:

Don't forget, if you're ever out of your comfort zone where 94 octane is NOT available, you will have to be able to run the highest octane rating available with a bottle of octane booster (usually .6-.8 octane) and not get detonation..just something to think about.

would 13:1 safe on 99octane? sorry, but i dont want to make a new thread...
i know no one can say for real, just guesses

David

13.0:1 on 100 octane should work, but might nock and ping from predetination but won't harm the motor.

for the 94 octane question yes, 11.0:1 will work even for highway use.

That's coming from a honda/gm technician.

and you could always retard the dist. if you had to to get by on a tank of weaker gas, and NOT BEAT ON IT or take it up so high...

Back