computer shopping. ugh.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

invisibledemon

Bored
VIP
starting school this semester, and im looking for a new laptop that can function as a great school laptop, but also carry over and do what i want for my projects.

im more looking at business line laptops, used or refurbs, bc i like the idea of being able to walk in and set it on a docking station and getting to it.
im planning on installing protools and some kind of photo editing suite.

ive mainly owned HP computers myself, so i have been leaning towards the elitebooks. mainly, the 8470p and the 8570p. both can be found with the i5/i7 and 8gb ram in the 500+/- range. overall performance specs and reviews i like, plus i like the aesthetic appeal as well. plus, they seem to be able to take a beating with the aluminum case, ive seen some butchered ones in my ebay hunts that still function properly.

i think overall i may lean more toward the 8470 bc its a 14inch, but lacks the numeric keypad, which i dont think would be a bad thing really. smaller screen, seems to help with the battery life, and i only have one math course to take so i dont think the numeric pad is going to be necessary. plus, these can be found with the factory warranty still in place.

any thoughts/suggestions as to other models i should look at?

Definitely stay business class so you can use docking stations- then you don't have to worry about keypads or other peripherals since you can just have your desk set up however you want. I have my wife's desk built with a KVM switching between her home laptop dock and her work laptop dock, and the KB/mouse/monitor set exactly how she likes it. Easy.

yeah, thats the goal. just seems like an ideal set up being able to have all my stuff on one computer to use at teh desk with dual monitors, and be able to take it all to go without having to copy from one machine to another.

I need a newer laptop too. I have to slip a folded up card between the screen and the keyboard to keep the screen from freezing. I really wish I could run minecraft on this thing too.

well, unfortunately the ones the chris had that i would really want already sold. turns out the one i really wanted and was outbid on was one of his. lol.

but, i bought one tonight. hp factory refurb 8570p with quad core i7 and 8gb ram. cant wait to get it.
chaz, message chris (turbomirage) about what he has if you are in the market, he has some good prices and good machines too.

Definitely stay business class so you can use docking stations- then you don't have to worry about keypads or other peripherals since you can just have your desk set up however you want. I have my wife's desk built with a KVM switching between her home laptop dock and her work laptop dock, and the KB/mouse/monitor set exactly how she likes it. Easy.
Dual monitor or single monitor?

I just looked at a couple dual DVI KVM switches, and HOLY CRAP. $250 easily.

dual monitor. looked them up on ebay, they go for about 75 to 100 for this computer.

I so want to get a good laptop from my office with a docking station....sadly, my choices are an i5 Dell, or a Retina i7 Macbook Pro...

*cries in the corner*

Dual monitor or single monitor?

I just looked at a couple dual DVI KVM switches, and HOLY CRAP. $250 easily.
Hers? Single. Mine? Triple. I only switch the center monitor with the DVI KVM though- the side monitors I just switch manually between VGA and DVI. I'm not gaming or doing photo editing on the work laptop (much), so it's not that big of a deal.

got the computer today. set it up and using it right now.

so far, i like it a lot. its a lot quieter than i expected. its a damn good looking machine. the touch pad is huge, and has the typical HP issue of just slightly not being sensitive enough when tapping. im used to that though. the keys have an odd texture which i'll have to get used to. im used to smooth touch keys. its nice having the number pad, glad i went with the 8570 vs the 8470. have yet to check if the comp will fit in my backpack, so we will see about that.

more testing will ensue but so far so good.

keyboards/touchpads come with a film on them these days... need to get the factory oils off them and then they are mint

will give it a little cleaning. but, ive always had this issue with my hp laptops. never sensitive enough, have to give it a firm tap to function.
now, the movement is great though, only the tapping.

might be an adjustment in the touchpad settings ?? probly not but maybe

Back