Cracked tranny casing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

VTECPOWER

Just found out that my tranny's casing is cracked, and has been for some time, just got my swap from hmo not too long ago, what should i do? I tried calling hmo to talk to him, but they aren't open now. Should they replace it? I think they should, it has a bunch of stress cracks on it, and has been leaking for about a week.

Hmmm...I also got a cracked tranny casing form Hmotors. My tranny was pissing oil all over before I patched it up with some JB Weld. However, It still leaks, and I can't get it to hold fluid well. So, in other words, I am interested in what people have to say too.

One idea I had was replacing the b16 tranny casing with that of an LS tranny, does anyone know if that would work?

I have a y1 transmission casing, and can get a s1 casing, now would this work for me?

EDIT: one thing that MAY work, as my dad had said, is alumaloy, or however u spell it, u just have to clean the trans a lot, if i get another casing i can try it with alumaloy and see what happens, or i may have to do it anyways.

^^ That was my first idea too. People here seemed to think that it really wasn't any better than JB Weld tho....and the nice thing aout JB weld is that you can apply it with the transmission still in the car. I've also been thinking of just dropping the tranny and taking the casing to a shop and having them weld it up for me.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Aug 7 2005, 10:51 AM
MIG weld it.
[post=536890]Quoted post[/post]​

But first, get ahold of hmotors. You have a pretty powerful voice with this forum. With everyone here, if hmotors got a bad rep, it could hurt their reputation and cause them to lose business. But then you said they are "closed".. Do you mean out of business or closed for the weekend??

im sure its for the weekend.

HMO moves A LOT of motors. They arent going out of business anytime soon.

I'd still recommend them to anyone.

:werd: they don't cover shit like tranny casings in their warrenty and there is no way they will ship you a new tranny over something like this. Pretty much you're SOL (like me) and will just have to fix it some how.

I might be able to get a new casing, i have a y1, will a s1 tranny casing work?

If i get a new casing, i only have to replace the outer side away from the engine, do i need to take the complete trans off of the engine to replace it?

Yeah you gotta take the whole thing out, its quite a job to get into, as there are a lot of little balls and clips and bolts you gotta remove. But with the help of a manual im sure that you can do it.

Back