Crazy volume

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

utn

My stero hasn't worked in my VW since probably 2 weeks after I bought it. (I know I know, its not a Honda, but I still <3 Hondas and my exRex). Anyway, I have a crappy Sony head unit, which every review I've read on it says it sucks and dont buy it, but this is my problem. When I turn on the car I hear fuzz in the speakers for a second and then the audio will start (radio only) but as soon as it does, it dies down really really low and only when the engine is off and in the on position can you hear whatever it is, but you have to be next to the speakers to hear it. Has anyone had this kind of problem before, its all aftermarket stuff, speakers, head unit, amp and crossover stuff.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott

check your wiring over... are you running your amp power/ground next to your audio cables? thats a no-no.

Two of my old Sony units had worn volume switches, I was lucky with the one that would decided to go down in volume - The other went up when I hit a bump or something.

Is the volume jumping in steps, or is it smooth ? Does the volume change according to the display ?

-> S

Sorry if I didn't make that part clear, the volume does not change with the knob, but it does have a smooth scroll up and down.

dang! that happened to me with my CDA-9833. it worked for 2 weeks then shat on me. I could hear stuff for like 1 second then it was over. GAR!!! im getting it all re-wired correctly by my boy that re-wired at best buy next weekend ... we will see

Originally posted by Pewble@Jul 22 2005, 12:38 PM
dang! that happened to me with my CDA-9833. it worked for 2 weeks then shat on me. I could hear stuff for like 1 second then it was over. GAR!!! im getting it all re-wired correctly by my boy that re-wired at best buy next weekend ... we will see
[post=529872]Quoted post[/post]​

Make sure that none of the door speaker wires are shorted out to the metal on the door frame. unhook the speakers one by one and turn the radio on. if youre audio comes back then wrap electrical tape around the connections on the speaker.

This seems a little to strange. A fried amp wouldn't most likely wouldn't work at all, and if so it would only work a few seconds and then be gone entirely, not just quite. Speakers grounding would only cause that speaker to lose power bacause the right and left outputs are wired individually. If it were wiring it would not work at all, it would work perfect, or it would cut in and out between the 2 as current became available. It could be that your crossover is being a dumbass, but my best quesstimate would be that the headunit itself just plain sucks. It's Sony. Sony = Ford.. mass production at a cheap price with no reguard for quality. And considering previous posts on volume controls going in that particular headunit, sounds to me you got some shopping to do, and this time hopefully you aren't pinching the wallet again :p In electronics, you really do get, what you pay for.

Back