CRX Misfires when warm

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

caboose

USDM to the bone
Hi,

I am having a problem with my 1989 Honda CRX HF (d15b6). The car runs fine warm, but once it heats up the car is a dog and misfires like crazy. It also has a little bit of a sputter to it when it is idling. I don't know if this is related, but I have always had irratic idle issues with this car too (only after it's warm).

I replaced the headgasket last week so I don't think that it's a coolant issue. I am going to try a new set of plug wires, because mine don't seem to fit very tightly on the plugs. When my TPS sensor is unplugged the idle issue goes away, I will try to see if the misfire goes away when I remove the TPS. The computer is not throwing any codes except for 7 (I believe this is the TPS being unplugged). I recently set the timing by bridging the contacts and setting it to the mark closest to TDC. I thought that it was odd that the distributer had to be set ALL the way to one side to get the timing right. Also, when the car is misfiring, I can hear a clicking noise that seems to be coming from the ECU.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
Tony

could there be a problem with my ECU? I have one from a 1989 si, could that be used to somehow eliminate it?

Back