crx si b16a help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vago760

i just bought and took over someone elses project... a 1988crx si with a b16a motor with a ls tranny... very proud new owner i love it and i will do everything it takes to get it running but the person i bought it from did the swap and never got it running.... it starts if u spray carb spay into the manifold and once its on it idles like it has a miss fire or the vaccums lines are not right... from what i notice from the car the vaccum lines are connected, but not to the right places not all of them are connected to the o2 sensors and the charcoal canister, manifold absolute pressure sensor and both solenoid vavle and the wiring looks ok, it has jdm hire warness but the o2 sensors on the exgaust manifold werent put on either..and to top it off car turns over wit the key WITHOUT having to push in the clutch in... i need help where to start.. Im a really smart guy and i can do the research but not sure where to start or what should be my big concerns...i've always loved and owned hondas but im new to the swaping motors part... Any advice would help and i would do the same always if someone else needed my help. I love the car and i would love to get this car running and have another crx on the road so everyone can see how great these cars are thanks

1988 crx's did not have clutch safety switches, they didnt put those in until 89 or 90. When you turn the key in the ON position can you hear fuel pump kick on for 2 sec and shut off? It's like a low hum. If not then your main relay, or fuel pump could be bad, i would start there, also check the timing, check the condition of ignition components (spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor), make sure the wires are on the cap in the right order, start at the very basic of problems and work from there, i know if i dont know anything about the engine or prev owner i treat the motor as if its been beat on or not taken care of and automatically do all the maint and do a general check over right off the bat

yeah i know i feel i just adobted it from a bad home lol.. but from what i see all the main maintaince has been done to the when the swap was done

it was given a good tune up when the swap was done it has alot if new parts... thing is it was never runnign after the swap was done... people who did it did not know what they were doing

was the timing on? did you check the wires at the distributor and make sure they are in the correct order?

yeah i got the car starting now and just yesterday i checked the timing and re did it and its fine

well i made alot of progress but from other friends who know the person i got the car from tell me the guy who i got the crx from had some one do the wiring on the swap and he had no idea what he is doing

its very easy to read the ecu yourself... just pull the pass side carpet back where your feet sit and youll see the ecu cover with a hole in it, just put the key in the on position and count the blinks long blinks equal 10 short blinks equal 1... so 1 short = 1 blink, 1 long and 1 short =11 so and so forth... post up what you find.

Pull codes and go from there if you can.

a few other things to keep in mind, crank position sensor, there are testing procedures in service manuals for whatever motor it is.

o2 sensor (if your still running a non chipped obd0 ecu),

distributors/firing order can do crazy things, did u try pulling the cap off and looking at the igniter at the top, or check for rotor shaft play and/or the rotor off center.

- i recently worked on a 1990 b21a prelude and his screw on his distributor rotor backed off and was just bouncing around in the case until it hit the magnetic piece inside the cap and made no noise, but the car would only run with the plug wires in the wrong firing order.
- another friend had a b16 the distributor was just toast, the ICM inside of it was fried causing it to not run right. also some vacuum diagrams would help alot, but make sure you look up your year/model specifics.

then if none of this helps you, start with the wiring, but dont get yourself in a rut wit wiring when something as little as those could be your problem. also, was there an injector resistor box installed with the swap?

check and see that the plugs for the sensors on the back of the intake aren't mixed up, they all fit multiple plugs back there and if you mix them up, it will run like shit, barely rev, and back fire like a mother fucker

Back