d15 vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

4DRonDUBS

Wondering how vtec is hooked up after a 95 d15 vtec head is put on a 92 d15 nonvtec block? Is the d15 vtec worth completly rebuilding or should i transplant the heads??? :unsure:
I heard it was possible to put a d16vtec head on a d15nonvtec block aswell.

Whats more worth the time?
Do you need to drill any holes for the nonvtec block and do you need to buy a vtec controller for the head?
Also do i need to purchase a new timing belt or ecu?

Yes, you can put the D16 Vtec head on the D15B non-vtec block (refered to as a "mini-me" swap). The block has to be from a 16-valve engine though. The only thing you need to do to the block is remove the oil jet in the middle of the block to allow oil pressure to get to the head for VTEC. Rebuild the block if it has a lot of miles on it or excessive wear, new rings, re-hone, new bearings and seals, the usual.
You'll need to buy a new timing belt for head you choose, like a '92 Civic EX belt for the Z6 head. You should also replace the water pump while you're at it and the head gasket as well with the VTEC unit. You will also need the VTEC ecu from the same model car you took the head from (P28 ecu from 92 Civic EX), you could probably use a VTEC controller but you wont have as high of a rev limit you need, just get the ecu, it's cheaper and better in most cases.
Wiring it up requires a new 02 sensor, a 4-wire one to work in conjunction with the ecu. Wiring VTEC and the new O2 sensor is a pretty easy process. You can find info on how to wire the 02 sensor up on this site too, should be a thread like "1 wire to 4 wire conversion" You can find VTEC wiring diagrams on Honda Hybrid's web site too, just use the one for wiring a B16 into an EG.

Doing a mini-me swap on a D-series can be done for about $500-600 with all those replacement parts and would net around a 10:1 compression ratio with a noticable difference in performance. :)

Back