D16 Vs. anything else.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Honda20000

I've got a 2000 civic DX hatchback Special edition with the stock D16 in it. I bought this new 9 years ago as a commuter and want to start a build up on it. My question is, is it worth it to modify the D16 in it? Or should I build up another engine like a B16c or h22a? Money would not be a factor as I have a 2008 civic coupe and this would be a ground up build.

If you are open to a reasonable budget with a modest amount of work, I would say B16 swap. If you want to spend a little more and do lots of fabrication and have a bunch of work on your plate, I'd do a K swap. Ultimately, it depends on what you want to spend, how much time you want to do it in, and what you will use the car for.

Definitely depends on your goals. There's quite a few D's that are putting down more power than stock B16s at less the total cost; but the B16 has more potential.

Definitely depends on your goals. There's quite a few D's that are putting down more power than stock B16s at less the total cost; but the B16 has more potential.

What he said.

it really depends on your power goals and what kind of driving you are going to do with it. if you want 200hp, i would say just turbo the D. if you want upwards of 400hp on a full build, i would suggest an ls or gsr swap.

if you have unlimited funds (read: $10k+) i would build a k-series.

I've always wondered, do people have even the slightest clue how difficult it is to help them when they say "I don't care what I spend"? That leaves so many different options, especially when there isn't a goal provided either. You have to help us help you.
when i hear that, my first suggestion is to buy something other than a honda. don't get me wrong, I love hondas. But if I had unlimited funds, there are hundreds of cars i would rather have. and most require little to no modification on my part.

please dont go with the d series, weather its single cam or not, their really not worth building for the little performance that ull get outa it especially for not having a rex or older hatch.....personally go with another motor, if ur in a money chrises go with a b20 or h22

Well when i say money is unlimited I don't mean millions or hundreds of thousands, I mean I have money do build it the way I want. It won't be a quick engine build and drive away type of deal. I want something I can build from scratch, something to take pride in and spent time doing it. Anyone can spend $40,000 (theirs or the banks) on a car they want. I want to spend it on a car that I can build myself. Sarcasm is the easiest responce to any question and can be found anywhere. I would just like to learn more about honda tuning.

I have a stock D16Y7. I'm not looking to win any races but 200 HP is good enough to hold its own. Is there anyway to make this a VTEC engine or what can I do to this engine to achieve roughly 200HP?

d15b7 block wuth d16z6 head

I have a quick question, I've recently been doin some research on mini me swaps b/c im interested in doin one my self. I have a d15 b7 block with b7 head but i could get a d16z6 head from my cousin so i was wondering what would be the best build for boost? I was hoping of hittin 200 whp or more if thats possible soooo what would be the best setup?

I have a quick question, I've recently been doin some research on mini me swaps b/c im interested in doin one my self. I have a d15 b7 block with b7 head but i could get a d16z6 head from my cousin so i was wondering what would be the best build for boost? I was hoping of hittin 200 whp or more what would be the best setup?
start a new thread.

How reliable is a D16 with a turbo? Would it be more reliable to have an H22A n/a?
if it's tuned, it will be just as reliable as an n/a with mods.

any car that is not 100% factory, will not have factory reliability. it's just how it is.

Back