D16a6 w/ D16z6 VTEC Head into 95 Civic EX Possible

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hmtcrxsir

Since my D16z6 engine is jack up. and i have an extra complete D16a6 engine. I was wondering if I can use the lower block of the D16a6 and the top block from the D16z6 VTEC head and use the existing OBD1 stuff from the D16z6 and switch it over to the D16a6 block. Oh btw, this is going into my 95 Civic EX. You think it would work? Or do i need to buy another D16z6 engine? Shit, and would it pass smog if i did this?

Whether it will pass smog is determined by where you are located.

Yup. It won't pass in California, but it'll pass just about everywhere else. Use the Z6 head and all your Z6 OBD1 hardware and you'll be fine.

Originally posted by Calesta@May 29 2005, 09:01 AM
Yup. It won't pass in California, but it'll pass just about everywhere else. Use the Z6 head and all your Z6 OBD1 hardware and you'll be fine.
[post=504936]Quoted post[/post]​

but wont pass smog? So why bother?

In California head swaps are illegal, but we don't know if he is in cali, in not, than he is fine.

Originally posted by hmtcrxsir@May 28 2005, 09:03 AM
Since my D16z6 engine is jack up. and i have an extra complete D16a6 engine. I was wondering if I can use the lower block of the D16a6 and the top block from the D16z6 VTEC head and use the existing OBD1 stuff from the D16z6 and switch it over to the D16a6 block. Oh btw, this is going into my 95 Civic EX. You think it would work? Or do i need to buy another D16z6 engine? Shit, and would it pass smog if i did this?
[post=504655]Quoted post[/post]​

the head will bolt on and asid from a new head and intake gskts (use the z6 stuff and pop out the risticter in the oil feed line), adn correct timeing belt theres very you need to make it work. I'll have to get back to you on the T-belt.

timing belt

the timing belt ur going to use
has to match the water pump
that's it

mini me swap

i thought that combo of an EF d16a6 SI bottom end with a y8/z6 head combo is called a MINI ME SWAP.correct me

if it was me i would just spend the money on the z6 if its almost all there

Yes, but "mini-me" loosely refers to pretty much any D block with a VTEC head swapped onto it. An A6 bottom with a Y8 or Z6 head is pretty much still the same as the original Y8 or Z6- it just has slightly higher compression. The displacement, bore, stroke, block height etc are all still the same.

mini me

is the mini me better then the stock z6..because you say the mini me has higher compression..i have a z6..

Watch the compression with this set up, and GET IT TUNED. This set up is prone to detonation.

Components to consider getting:

Thicker Head Gasket (Lowers compression, preferably a copper one)
Z6 head (Easier hook up)
Run Premium (Especially if you' plan on being an ass and NOT TUNING it..)
Low Compression Pistons (Stock ones will work fine, these would make it extremely streetable though, and would check the high-compression/Detonation problem.)
Air/Fuel Controller (Adjustable)
Tune It (I can find you the company you can send the ECU out to, they'll give work it down something sick, V-TEC, Adjustable Air-to-Fuel, V-TEC controller, the whole 9, on multiple platforms even if you swap to a DOHC.

It sounds like alot, but it's really cheap, and ensures the car's gonna be reliable and won't tear itself to shit, you'd prolly make as much if not more torque then a stock B-16, if it's tuned right, that's minus power gains from Breather, Intake, upgraded pipage from header to rear n' the relative...

Takin a guess...120 horses, 102 on torque..just a guess. Sleeper.

wait hold up using the a6 block should lower the compression compared to the z6 motor. shouldn't it?

z6 should be 11:1 something like that
a6 should be 9:1 as getting a z6 gasket(thinner) should push it to 10:1 just guessing this shit out of the back of my had correct me if im wrong

see that is what I was thinking although I think the z6 is more like 9.6:1 and the a6 is 9.1:1(unless we're talking JDM) so it shouldn't change that much, but the d16a6 has the lowest compression of the d-series motors so I figured it can't possibly raise the compression of a z6 motor considering doing a head swap is much like installing low compression pistons.

Back