d16y8 head on a d16y7 block?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brotharon

I looked around and havent been able to find much information about this swap. I have a 1998 Civic LX, and I have heard that you can swap out the y7 head for the y8 pretty easily. I want to know if anyone knows where I could find a walkthrough to do this and let me know what parts (besides the y8 head and a new timing belt/water pump) I will need to complete the swap. Also, how long does it take to do a swap like this? The car is my daily driver, so I cannot afford for it to be down for more than a weekend unless I know in advance and take vacation to complete the project. :ph34r:

Those are some pretty cool links. So, am I to believe that the y8 head will pretty much just bolt right onto my y7 block and all I have to do is wire up the vtec? That is too easy, where is the catch?

lol the catch is you need to get it done!! nah it is a very easy swap i did it for my friend and i followed the one that i gave you from honda-tech it was perfect. the catch also is that is a messy job if you don't drain all the oil out the head and if you don't get all the anti freeze out. make sure you don't get oil where the anti-freeze is that is all

Originally posted by civiclxb16@Jan 19 2005, 04:37 PM
lol the catch is you need to get it done!! nah it is a very easy swap i did it for my friend and i followed the one that i gave you from honda-tech it was perfect. the catch also is that is a messy job if you don't drain all the oil out the head and if you don't get all the anti freeze out. make sure you don't get oil where the anti-freeze is that is all
[post=448156]Quoted post[/post]​

An EX trans would be a better first investment IMO

No, he's saying that you should swap the transmission first. I would still swap the head.

I have a 98 d16y8 honda gonna put a 99 y7 block in ther3 now will my y8 vtec head bolt right up to the y7 block buddy told me there are some kind of oil feed ports thst are not on the y7 block and will ruin the y8 head Is this true or is it just a plug and play quick swap

Back