D16Y8 plans

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Prowler

Super Moderator
It needs to be boosted soon. I've done all the bolt ons, click my sig to see everything.

I'm looking to spend $2000. That'll either get my a JRSC or a Greddy setup.

What's the better setup for the money? I'm seeing with the JRSC, all I'd need is a new fuel pump and gauges. With the Greddy kit, I'd have to get new IC piping, a FMIC, and a BOV. Then eventually a turbo timer, a changeover to synthetic oil, and more frequent oil changes. I'm seeing the turbo route being more expensive in the future.

The motor has low miles, so I'm keeping with the D16Y8 regardless. I auto cross and dont' drag race. I'm not looking for full out top speed, but something that will make the car enjoyable to drive around town and on the highway.

Any reason why not to go with the JRSC? I'm seeing it as a much more complete kit, with less maintenance and easier install. There really isn't going to be much else to do. I just want to hit around 175whp with a tuned vafc.

Also, even though the peak hp will probably be higher with the Greddy setup, would the JRSC still be quicker with full boost through the whole rpm range?

Help. I'm going to be spending the $2000 on the car in a few months and want something that will be complete, fun, and reliable.

I think someone lied when they told you the peak HP would be higher with JRSC, but for your purposes the JRSC is your best bet. Full boost through all RPMs, easy install, and lower cost maintenance.

custom turbo kit y0.

you can EASILY piece together a turbo setup for 1000 bucks.

score a .48 t3 or something similar... nice quick spooler w/ internal gate
generic log mani, custom downpipe
piping, JRC intercooler, dsm BOV and DSM 450s.
add a chipped p28 + obd1 conversion, and spend the rest on either tuning gear like burners and romulators, or pay to have your car pro-tuned... or when you get to new york, come visit me and i'll help you out.

Originally posted by reikoshea+Jul 7 2005, 09:21 PM-->
I think someone lied when they told you the peak HP would be higher with JRSC, but for your purposes the JRSC is your best bet. Full boost through all RPMs, easy install, and lower cost maintenance.
[post=522418]Quoted post[/post]​

I said higher peak with the turbo kit.

pissedoffsol
@Jul 7 2005, 09:21 PM
custom turbo kit y0.

add a chipped p28 + obd1 conversion, and spend the rest on either tuning gear like burners and romulators, or pay to have your car pro-tuned... or when you get to new york, come visit me and i'll help you out.
[post=522419]Quoted post[/post]​

I can't have anything too "custom" done here in MT. No shops really deal with that. There's some hot rod shops, but the only good import shops closed. Dunno how long it'll be til I move to NY. Probably not til the beginning of the next year, but it definately could happen sooner.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Jul 7 2005, 09:21 PM-->
custom turbo kit y0.

[post=522419]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd: :werd: :werd:

Prowler
@Jul 7 2005, 10:33 PM
I can't have anything too "custom" done here in MT. No shops really deal with that. There's some hot rod shops, but the only good import shops closed. Dunno how long it'll be til I move to NY. Probably not til the beginning of the next year, but it definately could happen sooner.
[post=522442]Quoted post[/post]​

Sure you can- all you really need to do that's custom is to weld the charge pipes, and you can buy that in a pre-cut kit most of the times too. You buy the turbo, manifold, downpipe, intercooler, BOV- then have someone else weld the pipes after you mock it up in your engine bay. Go home, install it all, then tune on your own on a dyno somewhere.

Originally posted by jimboburgess@Jul 8 2005, 11:04 AM
What about oil supply lines? Or getting the ECU to recognize boost?
[post=522633]Quoted post[/post]​

Exactly.

At least if I go with a Greddy setup, the wastegate is set safely and it has an emanage unit, along with appropriate injectors.

Would this be a good deal? All it would need, I see, is a BOV and Turbo Timer.

If you're worried about that stuff, get the Greddy kit. It's generally pretty good... the blue box just kinda sucks.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jul 8 2005, 09:43 PM
If you're worried about that stuff, get the Greddy kit. It's generally pretty good... the blue box just kinda sucks.
[post=522950]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:
DO THE TURBO KIT!
You should be MUTCH happier, i love my b16 crx, but i WAS gonna turbo my 97 ex!

Originally posted by Calesta@Jul 8 2005, 07:43 PM
[post=522950]Quoted post[/post]​

I believe that the 92-95 kit is blue box and 96-00 is emanage.

What do you suggest? I just saw at a shop tonight a D16Z6 with the full Greddy kit tuned just with a VAFC and it was running well.

custom turbo kit. much cheaper first off, and you'll probably get better numbers from it than the greddy. oil lines are from stealthmode performance. ecu to recognize boost is from either an safc, or like brian said chip it with obd conversion running uberdata or chrome. I've got two friends now who've done this, one of which i've helped buy all his shit, for under 1500 dollars. even if you got the greddy kit you'd want to get rid their fuel management and run uberdata or chrome anyway. If you need some help or have a few questions pm me, i can do my best to help.

you can't tune with a vafc, blue box, fmu, or emanage the way you need to on a turbo car.

sure, you can adjust the a/f and get it pretty good on some of those, but fact is, you're still missing out on ignition maps. ignition is where the power is.

WHat do you recommend for that? The phearable.net chipped P28?

Back