D16z6 Tranny Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bsi101

Im building a d16z6 to swap into a 88-91 civic. 1st, will the early integra d16 dohc tranny bolt up? And 2nd, is it a stronger unit than what came in the 93-95 civic? thanks!

No locking here. :)

I would think that the D16 Integra engine would bolt up to the engine, but I'm not sure if the mounts are all the same.

The Integra trany will have different mounting points. Just use a 4th gen tranny preferrable an 89-91 CRX SI, if not that then use a dx or lx sedan 5 spd tranny, or you can get into the other 4th gen trannys but I think they are geared too long for a vtec engine. 93-95 trannys are weak, ask B who is on his 4th (I think its the 4th) tranny. He doesn't really beat the shit out of his car either. In general D series trannys aren't the strongest.

The 4th gen D series stuff is the strongest, generally... transmissions and blocks both.

the 92-95 tranny will not work either. You are pretty much looking at a 4g tranny or ZC. Are you planning on converting to OBD1?

to make everything easier, just get an 88-91 si tranny. i have one for sale but needs new tranny synchros if your willing to rebuild, i'd let it go for cheap knowing it needs work. let me know.

1st let me thank all of you for your input! My z6 came from my wifes car which now houses a b18b. So, to answer some questions, I would like to use the vtec ecu since it's out any way. Rebuilding a tranny is not a big problem. However, I can get a good 4th gen unit cheap, it may or may not be worth my labor. I love the way my friends 89 integra is geared (I dont have access to it any more or i could probably answer some of my own questions!) is the si tranny similar? Also, any resources on wiring would be a lot of help! thanks again guys!:)

Back