D16z6 swap into 98 cx hatchback

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hondaboy9894

so my ek hatchback (d16y7) died and I wanna use the engine from my 94 ex civic (d16z6)

what I’m what trying to figure out is the wire harness cuz that’s the main problem for me everything else will be easier to me then the wiring part so the 94 has everything the ecu the wire harness everything the car runs n has no problems I just don’t like the body of the car n I wanna swap engines

what do I have to take out of the ek hatch wire wise obviously take off the engine harness but what about the wire harness from inside the car from the left side of the car wires and the right said or the car wires cuz in the engine bay the d16z6 has 3 different connections on the drivers side but the engine bay from the d16y7 only has one connection I’ll provide pictures if needed

this is my first swap so any advice or tips please let me know would be greatly appreciated thanks

Last edited:
Just an fyi, this is illegal in most places with emissions. You can't put an engine older than the chassis. So, consult your DMV first before you do a lot of work just to have more headaches.

If that doesn't matter,

- use your EK's harness in the engine bay
- shouldn't need to mess with anything on the interior except the conversion harness for the ecu...
- get an obd2a - 1 conversion harness to plug in the z6 p28 ecu
- splice on plugs from the EG for the obd differences, things like the alt, dist, injectors How to Rewire an OBD2 Alternator to work on an OBD1 car and OBD1 B-series Wiring Guide (the wires are the same on b/d)
- might need to wire the o2 sensor (i don't recall what the ek dx had.... if it's a 4 wire, you're good)
- wire in vtec just run a few wires and use a pinning tool as your ek harness doesn't have it. general idea here: How to wire vtec

Back